Finally tested it off tarmac

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bgsntth

Reaction score
Took my 2016 Z71 Suburban to the family coastal cattle ranch for the first time. I was a little nervous due to the size, lack of ground clearance, and the stock SRA tires. I have had every type of SUV, and have been "stuck" on Land Rover products for the past decade, as they make offroading so "easy" and stress free. I had a few sphincter flexing moments in a GX470 and Cayenne; hence, until the Z71 I have not considered anything else. We needed a offroad capable SUV; however, with three rows. The Discovery 5 does not come out until next year, so we got the Z71.

Impressions:
  • It is not any wider than my wife's 2008 Range Rover, which has been my primary ranch truck.
  • The turning radius is not "bad" considering its size; but, I still had to do a lot of three point turns in the culverts and swithchbacks.
  • Traction is actually pretty good - not a lot of tire spinning, with the exception of a 0.6 mile 20-40 degree grass/gravel slope. During the very steepest portions the rear wheels were spinning the whole way - the limited slip diff works. For this slope, I had it in 4-low and Second gear and 2.5rpms, whereupon it bogged down. I shifted down to First and kept it at 4krpms until the final summit where it gets really steep and grassy. At this point are starting losing momentum and increased the rpms to 5K - made it. The engine got really hot at the final summit - 3/4 temp mark with the fan going full blast. This is with the SRA's, and I'm sure it will do better with the Nokian Rotiiva AT's I have in the garage - will have these on before I try Tally ** Trail again. Pic is at the top of Tally **.
  • Leaving it in Drive is only good for flat sections, as it bogs the engine on any type of incline. I used the manual shift exclusively.
  • I felt a lot lower in the Z71 than the Rovers - no air suspension
  • The ride was actually really good - very smooth. Pleasantly surprised. I think the Z71 suspension is the best on/offroad on these trucks.
  • Ground clearance. I did not scrape or rub at all - another surprise. No rock crawling, with the exception of a creek crossing. We will see if I have enough clearance on the front\rear when I have other folks in the truck - not an issue with the Rovers.
  • The Hill Assist is absolutely essential, as using low gears/compression does little to keep speeds under control on steep descents - why?
  • Overall: It did the job, and will do better with the AT tires on it. Very happy, as I love all of the room in the Suburban, and the size does not seem to limit it as I need to use it.
I'm really surprised how much I like this truck, so the fact that it is competent offroad is very gratifying; as, I was worried that I would have to continue taking the wife's Rover. She hates it coming back muddy and with cow poop on the sides and exhaust.

Realize that most everyone on this forum could care less about offroad capability, but at least one owner justified to GM the Z71 package:)

Z71 - Tally ** 11-20-2015.jpg

#1taho

5150TAHO
Reaction score
Well you just made the Z-71 trail rated. Lol. That's good to know it is capable. My 04 has been off road a bit but nothing serious. Back country mainly. But it handled good.

Pockets

Supporting Member
Reaction score
That was a good read.... Thanks for the input

Sent from my V10 using Tapacrap

LGSONE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
SWEET, the very reason I ordered my 2015 Tahoe. I have always loved the "lets go there" capability and coming from jeeps and a Silverado I still wanted to have that luxury. Great post. Just made my day... hopefully I'll be able to get the Tahoe (Candi) out to make some memories like yours soon.

A+ sir

LGSONE

LGSONE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
An yes I named my Tahoe Candi... Grandfather got me naming cars since the day I bought my first...

LGSONE

OP
OP
bgsntth

bgsntth

Reaction score
Thanks for the kudos LGSONE. I actually swapped the OE GY SRA's with 275/65-18 Nokian Rotiiva's, which made a huge difference in terms off-tarmac grip, with absolutely no penalty on-tarmac.

Z71 Rotiiva\'s.jpg

Silberwolfen

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Thanks for the kudos LGSONE. I actually swapped the OE GY SRA's with 275/65-18 Nokian Rotiiva's, which made a huge difference in terms off-tarmac grip, with absolutely no penalty on-tarmac.

View attachment 58304

Good review BG. I owned a 2004 Z71 and am considering a 2016 Z71. Currently own a 2015 Range Rover Sport with the Extra Duty Package. I've been considering giving my wife the Rover and using the Z71 as my primary. I would likely switch to Nokians, too.

One question for you---how does the Z71 suspension treat you on the tarmac? I'm trying to get a pulse from people about the Z71 versus Magnetic Ride. Two different suspensions designed for two different purposes, I know. I will likely be driving the Z71 on normal roads 80% of the time. I like the Z71 because of the smaller wheels, skid plates, and extra clearance in the front. That is good for snow. Not a fan of huge wheels. I'm really curious if the Z71 is boaty or floaty in the twisties out on pavement. Trying to get test drive next week. But, would be interested in your perspective.

Regards,
John

OP
OP
bgsntth

bgsntth

Reaction score
Hi John,

My comments in the General Discussion thread is the on-tarmac review. Cliff Notes: Less wallow, oscillation, body-roll and getting into the bumpstops than the LT non-Z71 suspension. Very comfortable and feels like upgrading a sporty road car with premium large diameter dampers. I would actually prefer a little bit stiffer dampening, but this is nitpicking and my wife would complain about it being too stiff.

Silberwolfen

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hi John,

My comments in the General Discussion thread is the on-tarmac review. Cliff Notes: Less wallow, oscillation, body-roll and getting into the bumpstops than the LT non-Z71 suspension. Very comfortable and feels like upgrading a sporty road car with premium large diameter dampers. I would actually prefer a little bit stiffer dampening, but this is nitpicking and my wife would complain about it being too stiff.

Thanks Martin!

CamReynolds

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well you just made the Z-71 trail rated. Lol. That's good to know it is capable. My 04 has been off road a bit but nothing serious. Back country mainly. But it handled good.
Ive really beat my yukon off road and its held up fine. They are tougher than people give them credit for

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jake 2015 GMC Yuk