Faded black paint...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Smoke Em All

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok I would like to shine my factory black paint back up. I black boxed it and it looked ok but , I could still see the aged paint. On top of this issue I recently had accident damage repaired in the rear so it looks brand new from the rear doors back.

So what are my options? Wet sand? Hardcore cut and buff? How can I remedy this?

MarkD51

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok I would like to shine my factory black paint back up. I black boxed it and it looked ok but , I could still see the aged paint. On top of this issue I recently had accident damage repaired in the rear so it looks brand new from the rear doors back.

So what are my options? Wet sand? Hardcore cut and buff? How can I remedy this?

Forgive my ignorance, but may I ask what "Black Boxed" means?

Consider buying a Dual Action (DA) polisher like the Porter Cable 7424XP, or Griots Garage GG6, Foam Pads, and some good Polishes.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Et6Egpw-f-s
Mark

Last edited:
OP
OP
Smoke Em All

Smoke Em All

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Black box is a Turtle Wax brand of polish specifically for black cars.

2003 Tahoe LT loaded!! 3" body lift Nitto Terra Grapplers 285/70/18..

08grey

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Get some clay and a spray to lubricate it. This is going to be the first step.

MarkD51

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Get some clay and a spray to lubricate it. This is going to be the first step.

For sure, Clay, or the new Rubber Blocks or Decon Towels should be one step to a finish makeover.

After washing, do a Plastic Baggie Test. Use a very thin cheapie sandwich bag, place your hand inside of it, then feel the paint, glass, etc.

9 times out of 10, you'll most likely find your vehicle feeling like sandpaper.

The clay will remove above surface contaminants that can possibly dull the paint, but will do nothing to remove swirling, or even possible hazing-clouding of the finish from neglect. That's where Polishes come in. (After Claying)

Black for sure is difficult to maintain. Even things such as so so shampoos will leave their telltale films behind.
Mark

Last edited:

08grey

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Clay it and tell us when your done. We will all have some input.

MarkD51

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Black box is some nasty dye wax from what I heard

Is it? Ewww! I assume his vehicle is a clear coat/base coat, correct?

Perhaps one cheap way out if you have a local CARQUEST, grab a bottle of Duragloss 501 Marine/RV Sealant. This is like an all in one product, doesn't really possess much in the way of polish abrasives though, but does have a very good ability at chemically cleaning the paint and getting it clean again.

Don't let its Marine/RV Monniker put you off, it is excellent on auto finishes, and contains a very good long lasting Sealant in it. Dirt cheap also, and Duragloss makes basically all very good products for very little cash.

While Turtle Wax seems to be coming out with a host of new products, like Tire-Trim Coatings, not so sure about their paint protectant products?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BrentL9900