Engine Temp Guage

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

malones99

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a 2015 and my temp gauge is very sporadic. For example, the gauge will normally be at dead center, however, if I start to climb the smallest hill, it will almost go to overheat RED. I did change the sensor and thermostat about 8 months ago due to the fan staying on after shut down which fixed the issue. Has anyone else seen this issue? Any advice?

Marky Dissod

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a 2015 and my temp gauge is very sporadic.
For example, the gauge will normally be at dead center, however, if I start to climb the smallest hill, it will almost go to overheat RED.
I did change the sensor and thermostat about 8 months ago due to the fan staying on after shut down which fixed the issue.
Has anyone else seen this issue? Any advice?
Guesses based on experience with 3 Caprice 9C1-LT1s:
1. Slightly low on coolant? Add coolant?
2. Air trapped in the cooling system? Burp system, add coolant?
3. Electrical wiring compromised? Wiggle wiring in question, check sensor connectivity?

Perform these checks with vehicle pointed uphill!

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Guesses based on experience with 3 Caprice 9C1-LT1s:
1. Slightly low on coolant? Add coolant?
2. Air trapped in the cooling system? Burp system, add coolant?
3. Electrical wiring compromised? Wiggle wiring in question, check sensor connectivity?

Perform these checks with vehicle pointed uphill!

^^^ This.

You could also watch live data on a scanner to see what the ECT sensor is reporting while it does this. If the new ECT wasn't an OE part, then replacing it with OE is recommended. There's documentation of aftermarket sensors being off far enough to impact (read: fail) emissions drive cycle tests.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brian12019

Latest posts