Cooling issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mikemike36311

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have a 09 Yukon 5.3L I had the inlet hose of the heater core break while driving down the road so all the coolant ran out and the engine ran hot but not pass about 240. So i replace hose refilled it still ran higher in temp so I put a new thermostat in that worked but it was still showing signs of a bad water pump so I replaced it now when I fill up the reservoir it’s just spitting out hot coolant out of the reservoir. I seen videos of “burping” it that still didn’t work. Heater is not getting hot and long as it’s idling temp doesn’t raise but wen your driving it goes up. Any help would be greatly appreciated..

B-train

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How quickly does it rise when driving? Do the bubbles stop inside the overflow at any point? When you start it cold, with the cap off, does the level fall, stay the same, or rise? Are the heater hoses that go through the firewall hot?

I've had good luck with squeezing the upper rad hose when it's idling to try and coax air out of the thermostat housing. If all air seems to be gone and you have a constant bubbling, or level rising as the truck heats up, you may have exhaust gasses getting into the system that will provide you with and endless supply of bubbles, expansion, etc.

strutaeng

Full Access Member
Reaction score
These engines are designed to almost eliminate any air pockets when repairing requires removing the coolant and refilling it. I've used that Lisle funnel, but I've done a simple refill and don't ever recall having issues with air pockets.

Your problem almost sounds like a blown head gasket (I hope not!)

How hot is it running? It idles smooth?

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have a 09 Yukon 5.3L I had the inlet hose of the heater core break while driving down the road so all the coolant ran out and the engine ran hot but not pass about 240. So i replace hose refilled it still ran higher in temp so I put a new thermostat in that worked but it was still showing signs of a bad water pump so I replaced it now when I fill up the reservoir it’s just spitting out hot coolant out of the reservoir. I seen videos of “burping” it that still didn’t work. Heater is not getting hot and long as it’s idling temp doesn’t raise but wen your driving it goes up. Any help would be greatly appreciated..
something isn't right, are you sure you have all the hoses hooked up correctly?
if everything was working previous to the heater hose breaking then there is no reason to have suspected the water pump
double check your work.
takes some pictures of the hose arrangement on passenger side of engine and post them up here.

donjetman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I never have issues burping mine.

Sounds like a blown head gasket or cracked head. Over heating it can crack stuff.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SDHanz