Dropping Weight

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

photoryan

Reaction score
I'm wondering if anyone knows any secret ways to drop some excess weight from a Tahoe. I already normally drive without the 3rd row. I have a resonator delete and I'm getting a new magnaflow muffler soon (don't know if that's actually lighter than the stock muffler.)

Any suggestions for anything else that anyone knows about, that's not totally ridiculous? I can't take out my second row, because I actually use it for the kids. I'm not going to take out major engine components, etc. I'm just throwing this thought out there...

soulsea

Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Smaller rims, roof rack delete, spare tire delete (replace with emergency inflation kit), running board delete.

That's a lot of weight right there ... but what kind of life is that?

Gzes

the drifting 2dr
Reaction score
y lighten the load? u drive an suv not a honda lol. u new what u were getting before dont let the gas scare u

Suburbinator

Reaction score
My '02 Burb(LS 2wd) has a hollow 30mm rear anti sway bar. It's about one-third the weight of the solid 28mm rear bar on my 09 Burb LT 4x4. So it saves weight, and doing the math, it's just a hair stiffer.

Might be something to consider depending on which sway bar you have.

Modded

That Guy
Reaction score
The spare is the only thing you can take out that is reasonable to drop weight.

WhiteStripe

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
The spare tire would be the easiest way to drop some weight. Also, depending on your driving habits, you could always drive with less than a half tank of gas. Gas weighs about 7 pounds a gallon so you could loose close to 100 pounds by never filling up all the way. It might be more inconvenient but it would save the weight.

OP
OP
P

photoryan

Reaction score
Smaller rims, roof rack delete, spare tire delete (replace with emergency inflation kit), running board delete.

That's a lot of weight right there ... but what kind of life is that?

Smaller rims aren't an option as I love my 20's. (Even considering getting the TB SS 22" rims). After a REALLY bad blowout in the middle of nowhere, I don't think I could give up my spare, even if that is the most weight I could drop. How much would you really give up with the running boards and roof rack, though? I think the running boards give it a touch of class, as this isn't an off-roader or a slammed SS looking Tahoe. I'm considering the roof rack delete, though.

y lighten the load? u drive an suv not a honda lol. u new what u were getting before dont let the gas scare u

Just thinking of lightening it for overall better performance. I know it's not a honda, and I realized it was a heavy-a$$ vehicle when I bought it. Just a fleeting thought of, "why not throw the idea out there and see if it's even worth it..."

Thanks for the thoughts guys.

soulsea

Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Roof rack delete on it's own will do little for weight saving, other than a spare tire delete and smaller rims very few things will make a difference on their own ... but all together they will make a big difference.

I hear you on smaller rims and not having a spare ... but you asked how to ditch weight so these are you options. :)

---------- Post added at 12:14 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:12 PM ----------

Btw, this is the kit that comes stock with hybrids and dual exhaust escalades, all of which come without a spare from the factory: http://parts.nalleygmc.com/showAssembly.aspx?ukey_assembly=373765&ukey_product=2872798

electro

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Running boards are more weight than you think. At least my 2002 Suburban running boards were. If you remove them I don't think you'd miss them dearly. If the kids are in child seats then you or your wife might miss them.

If you delete the roof rack how will you carry a canoe for fishing or a small boat?!

Boats, ladders, lumber, xmas tree, cargo bag, etc etc.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DH24YUKON