Dropping oil pan on a 4wd

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

PNWMuseumman

Bow Ties Are Cool
Reaction score
That might work for a 2WD but for a 4WD with the front diff hanging, there’s no room for bolts to be in the pan while you slide the pan in place. At least I had no room, the pan barely slid in there without bolts sticking up.

↑ This is true, I used the bolts to hold my gasket in place while the thin line of RTV I used dried. Then pulled the bolts out before installing. I don't see how you could get the bolts out once you get the pan back in place.

latvius

Full Access Member
Reaction score
↑ This is true, I used the bolts to hold my gasket in place while the thin line of RTV I used dried. Then pulled the bolts out before installing. I don't see how you could get the bolts out once you get the pan back in place.

Don't know what you mean by "get the bolts out". I put two bolts in the pan thru the gasket and put the pan up against the engine block and screwed in the bolts. Wasn't a big deal, you kind of had to angle the pan a little bit to get it over the front diff.

PNWMuseumman

Bow Ties Are Cool
Reaction score
Don't know what you mean by "get the bolts out". I put two bolts in the pan thru the gasket and put the pan up against the engine block and screwed in the bolts. Wasn't a big deal, you kind of had to angle the pan a little bit to get it over the front diff.

I was thinking you were putting bolts in through the top, did just the gasket holes hold the bolts in place? I'm not sure if there was enough room (Granted I did not try this, so there totally could have been) to have the body of the bolts in there between the engine and the pan the way I did it. It took some finagling to get the pan in the right place and if memory serves it all but slid along the bottom of the block. But hey if that works more power to you.

latvius

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was thinking you were putting bolts in through the top, did just the gasket holes hold the bolts in place? I'm not sure if there was enough room (Granted I did not try this, so there totally could have been) to have the body of the bolts in there between the engine and the pan the way I did it. It took some finagling to get the pan in the right place and if memory serves it all but slid along the bottom of the block. But hey if that works more power to you.

Yup the gasket holds the bolts which is really nice! I had my driveshaft removed as well maybe that is why I had more room as far as diff dropping?
Also for the OP you need to put a little bit of gasket sealer in the corners, it's in the GM instructions.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coops924