Driver's side door handle

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bowtiefreak

No Quarter
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Is this an easy item to swap out? Mine is broken and I'm geting ready to order a new one. This is the exterior handle. Does the old lock mechanism fit righ back in and all that?

black95

Full Access Member
Reaction score
they are not bad to do just u fight them alittle. the one bolt in the crease of the door, then another in behind the panel , so take the panel off and near where the handle would be is kinda like a hole and u catch the second bolt there. as for the lock it just a tab like i switch would , push it in and it slides right out and just clicks right into the new one. on the lock if u take any nuts of u are doing it wrong. should only take u like 15 minutes

99Yuk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I checked MOD, and it's estimator said 1.4hours for a front outside door handle remove and replace on a 97 Tahoe.

Unfortunately, I couldn't find any documents to show how it is done.

EDIT: A quick youtube search and it's Tony from A1 with another howto video. I've followed his videos before, and they have worked for me. Watch his VIDEO here.

Last edited:

laxman21

Reaction score
I started to do this when my inside handle broke too. The outside looked like a real pain in the ass because of the inside metal plate. I'll watch the video later as I still have the handle sitting in my garage.

99Yuk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm wondering if THIS wouldn't be a good idea to install while you are in there changing parts out.

The kit comes with other parts that you wouldn't be using, but you could certainly install the door handle parts. Might be worth it one day?

black95

Full Access Member
Reaction score
you do not remove the metal plate!!!!atleast i didnt remove it , was too lazy to **** with the window
TahoeDoor20001a.jpg

Last edited:

PH99TAHOE

Reaction score
You don't have to remove the door module, but it gives you more room to work if you do. The handles are kind of a pain in the ass to get everything lined up though. Make sure you get a GM handle, because aftermarket ones fit like crap, I found this out the hard way. I've replaced mine twice because the aftermarket one had a completely different texture and trim ring around it. Yes, the door lock mechanism pops out of the old handle by pushing in a metal tab, then you can pop it into the new one. I've done this with the door module off and on... and I'm not sure whats worse, removing the door module or working in the tighter space with it on.

992dr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I need to do this to, both handles are broken and my drivers door needs a latch as well. Since it doesnt latch correctly, it bounces over bumps to the point where my door handle broke today. I'm a little nervous that my door is going to bounce open.

Does anyone have a part number for factory door handles?
heck while I'm asking. Does anyone know the part numbers for the latches to?

Thanks

Brandon X

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I gotta replace my driver side handle too, both interior and exterior. It's on my to-do list.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SDHanz