Drive Shaft Slip Yoke?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Massfloefi

Massfloefi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ron's looks pretty normal and Matt's looks like his has a bad motor mount which is/was causing all that movement.

You only use the synthetic grease on the front prop shaft spline or a one piece RWD shaft. For 4WD use whatever fluid the transfer case uses. For the 800s the AWD was Dex III and the 4x4 used Auto-Trak II fluid. Double check your owner's manual.

Years ago I used to tell everyone to use the synthetic grease on 4x4s until someone corrected me. I put out a correction but boy did I post that a lot all over the place and doubt I found them all!

Thanks @swathdiver. I used synthetic grease today. Didn’t seem to fix my issue. All u joints look fine with no play. Maybe there is a issue with the trans itself. I’ll have to have it looked at.

OP
OP
Massfloefi

Massfloefi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you zoom in do you not see the separation of rubber as the gas is being applied?

I didn’t think that was by design. I’ve never seen one up close though.

Last edited:

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It might be a little aged/worn and has some separation starting, but it doesn't appear to be completely separated. When the mount completely fails, the left side of the engine torques up under acceleration then slams back down, causing the clunk. Either yours actually IS separated and your helper didn't goose the throttle enough to replicate the torquing you get when driving, or your clunk is coming from somewhere else.

If the rubber is starting to tear and you're gonna be towing soon, you could replace the mount as preventative maintenance and it surely wouldn't be a waste.

OP
OP
Massfloefi

Massfloefi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@iamdub

I believe it has not fully separated. My clunk is not massive from others I have seen so that would make sense.

I’m not 100% sold that this is my issue but it’s the only one I have found.

I was thinking about installing one of ATP’s poly mounts since OEM mounts don’t last long or so I hear. Problem is from everything I’ve read that if you change one to poly you need to change them all.

Thanks for the responses so far gents.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrSpork