Do You Regret: Short-Body vs Long-Body

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Bring back the blazer!

K5 Jimmy! I think an uncle still has his '91 K5 Jimmy. Great truck! I also miss and liked the lines of the 7th Generation Suburbans. No SWB! Well, the Blazer and Jimmy were the SWB buth they were awesome. And they all look great with 15" rims! hehehe

Denali132

Banned
Reaction score
I bought the Suburban and before I had 2 SB Tahoe 2 SB Deanai's. -and SB Escalade. I have 2 kids and love my Suburban all blacks out and have enough room inky garage with space in front and behind it.

Sent from my iPad Pro using Tapatalk

K Gizz L

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hey guys, just curious: If you bought a Yukon or Tahoe, do you regret not getting the XL or Suburban? Conversely, if you bought an XL or Suburban, do you regret not getting the Yukon or Tahoe?

I'm still exploring my options. I initially thought I'd get a regular Yukon, but part of me thinks I should get the XL. We have a 4-month old and 15-year old with possibly one more to come... but by then the 15-year old will be in or near university and we even have his own wheels by then- short of family road trips, he probably won't be hanging out with us much :(. We don't "need" the extra length but I can see where it would come in handy. I also hate how crappy the 3rd row is in the short-body... like what was the point of even putting them in there? Lol. The first and second rows are amazing however. Other benefits of short-body are slightly better towing ratings and ability to fit in th garage. A long-body wouldn't leave much room lengthwise... if I can even fit that is.

Anyway- words of wisdom would be appreciated.
I love my Tahoe... just enough!

BK76

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i previously owned a 2007 Yukon XL Denali and always had the 3rd row out of the rig until I needed them. So there was almost a truck bed of space in the rear. now I have the 2017 Tahoe LT and love it. I haven't used the 3rd row yet and they have stayed stowed away. As @crunchcity mentioned.... I would probably never use them if they were removable until I wanted to sell or trade it in. With that being said I would probably still love the Suburban or XL again in the future. Although they are not as easy to park in parking lots, especailly at my work, I just love the look.

I feel the same with my 2013 Dodge Ram Diesel. the NBS Crew Cab with the huge back doors was an awesome upgrade from my 2007 Ram Hemi, but I wish I would have bought the long bed. Although the long bed would have been a better purchase for towing the 36" trailer, it would have only been "needed" for 6-8 weekends a year. The other 44 weekends, the short bed is ideal, but again, it goes back to that look and feel of the long bed.

Best of luck in your decision.

Burby

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The Tahoe looks gorgeous. If I was a single dude that or the 4Runner would be my ride. But the Tahoe is IMO just big looking and small inside. No usable space in the rear. Cramped ingress on rear doors, cramped 3rd row. I can put anything in the 'burban. I remember after getting my suburban walking along side of it and thinking it just keeps going and going and going. Hands down for our family it was go big. It is a monster.

SDuncan2006

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Go big or go home. Suburban all the way. The swb look too short to me now. My NBS has removable 3rd row if needed...perfect!

Shadow17

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a kneeboard, two large tubes and ropes, along with a cooler currently in the back of my truck. I may or may not take it out of my truck before picking the kids up from practice tonight. I like that flexibility.
And I feel the longer wheelbase handles better in poor conditions and definitely better towing.
JMO

PNWMuseumman

Bow Ties Are Cool
Reaction score
That is a dead sexy Denali...

Several people have now posted that they like the LWB better for towing. Why is this? I'm not trying to refute the point, I'm just curious.

007matman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That is a dead sexy Denali...

Several people have now posted that they like the LWB better for towing. Why is this? I'm not trying to refute the point, I'm just curious.
Longer wheelbase provides more stability as the trailer moves around behind it (because the wheels are further apart). The trailer will track better with a longer wheelbase.

Edit.. found this link about towing a horse trailer.. same applies here. https://www.transwest.com/kansas-ci...d-look-for-when-shopping-for-a-towing-vehicle

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Off Road Pedia