Do You Regret: Short-Body vs Long-Body

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AZCreeker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wow, that's awesome! You put your Suburban to great use. Do you think you could have done the same trip with captains seats in the second row and just have three across in the somewhat smaller third row?

in theory yes but....
It would have been not ideal with the second row captain chair configuration because that would have forced me to put either the baby back there, might possibly fit but good luck having the baby next to our 2 other young kids
or put one of the teenagers who tagged along in the middle, again possible but not ideal.

Our previous minivan had captain chair for the third row and we liked it because it allowed easy pass through the third row but it's a non issue as our kids can lower the middle row passenger seat in a second by themself.

we really need that configuration ourselves, like I mention its because of the suburban that we didn't have to buy a full size van!

Tylus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
interesting thread. going to weigh in here. I've had a few SUV's over the years and thought I knew what I was doing when I bought this 2015 Tahoe
Bronco, 4Runner, Sorento, Endeavor, Expedition EL, Flex, Excursion, Escalade, Tahoe, Excursion​

We had choice between our Tahoe and exact same Suburban. Ended up getting the Tahoe because in Hawaii parking spots were smaller and the wife felt she couldn't drive the Suburban easily enough. This was re-inforced by the 2008 Expy EL we had out there and she tended to hit stuff. Alot!

Over the years we've regretted not having the Suburban. I wanted one over the Tahoe, but the wife won that argument. Luckily I keep an Excursion for when we need all the room.

The lack of room in our Tahoe came to light back in May 2016. We drove a family of 6 + a dog from LA to Connecticut. The trip took us to Texas and then up Eastern seaboard. The Tahoe performed flawlessly. But it was cramped. we solved it using 2 add-ons
1. a roof rack from Walmart. thank god I bought the roof rack rails from the Dealership way back when
2. a hitch carrier. Initially just that with a weatherproof bag. In Texas though I bought a toolbox and stacked them for even more room.

Top photo is from LA to TX
Bottom photo is toolbox. I bolted it to the hitch, then strapped the bag (too photo) to top)
IMG_9668.JPG IMG_9669.JPG

A suburban would have solved almost all the issues. the rear area of a Tahoe is just tiny.

and lastly is just the kids themselves. We rented a 2016 Suburban and I felt they had more leg room in the 3rd row. They are only 9yrs old (twins) and already knees are close to 2nd row. I've got about 2-3 yrs before I have to make a change. My Excursion doesn't have this issue. The twins comment on the leg room aspect every time we swap vehicles

GTNator

Supporting Member
Reaction score
interesting thread. going to weigh in here. I've had a few SUV's over the years and thought I knew what I was doing when I bought this 2015 Tahoe
Bronco, 4Runner, Sorento, Endeavor, Expedition EL, Flex, Excursion, Escalade, Tahoe, Excursion​

We had choice between our Tahoe and exact same Suburban. Ended up getting the Tahoe because in Hawaii parking spots were smaller and the wife felt she couldn't drive the Suburban easily enough. This was re-inforced by the 2008 Expy EL we had out there and she tended to hit stuff. Alot!

Over the years we've regretted not having the Suburban. I wanted one over the Tahoe, but the wife won that argument. Luckily I keep an Excursion for when we need all the room.

The lack of room in our Tahoe came to light back in May 2016. We drove a family of 6 + a dog from LA to Connecticut. The trip took us to Texas and then up Eastern seaboard. The Tahoe performed flawlessly. But it was cramped. we solved it using 2 add-ons
1. a roof rack from Walmart. thank god I bought the roof rack rails from the Dealership way back when
2. a hitch carrier. Initially just that with a weatherproof bag. In Texas though I bought a toolbox and stacked them for even more room.

Top photo is from LA to TX
Bottom photo is toolbox. I bolted it to the hitch, then strapped the bag (too photo) to top)
View attachment 185253 View attachment 185254

A suburban would have solved almost all the issues. the rear area of a Tahoe is just tiny.

and lastly is just the kids themselves. We rented a 2016 Suburban and I felt they had more leg room in the 3rd row. They are only 9yrs old (twins) and already knees are close to 2nd row. I've got about 2-3 yrs before I have to make a change. My Excursion doesn't have this issue. The twins comment on the leg room aspect every time we swap vehicles

Nice! You sir, take long vacations and own an interesting assortment of SUVs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

UrbanSuburban

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ah the best he had was the Bronco, boy do I miss my three, 79,82,88 all great trucks, they loved rust. It broke my heart when Ford went to the little expedition in 97 based on the Ford Feminine style. At least the Excursion took care of the size dept. Ford should never have ended that truck, if anything, it shows today the demand there could have been. The 7.3 Diesel while not a great engine was miles better than the 6.0 oh no. I would have gotten the V10 if they continued it.

Tylus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
V-10 was offered from 1999 to current.
99 to I think 12 in F-250/350 platform, only in F550 and RV now
00-05 in Excursion

The torque of the V-10 is sheer amazing. My Excursion weighs almost 9,000 lbs and it can accelerate PDQ. It's disorienting to get into the Tahoe right after the X. The 5.3 is a great motor, but there is much less Torque. Take alot more throttle to giddy up and go lol

15YUKON

Full Access Member
Reaction score
^ the 5.3 just doesn’t have the torque. The expeditions 5.4 Triton even killed the 5.3 LS in the last gen. If you put trailers behind the two the 5.3 would get smoked going through hills, and the 5.4 was not known as a speedy motor, but it had great low end torque. The V10, forget about it lol no competition. Not discounting the 5.3 it is a reliable motor dint get me wrong.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jkavros

Latest posts