DIY: High Flow Stock Airbox (Swiss Cheese Mod)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
ypsetihw

ypsetihw

Full Access Member
Reaction score
so i am thinking about getting a larger diameter pvc pipe than the hole and angling it and fastening it to run from the hole in the steel down and having the bottom angled so it will force air up, soes anyone think this will help? also there is a gap between the plate and the airbox so i would seal that somehow too

*this is just my opinion not science*

once you open up the stock airbox, it has plenty of flow to keep up with a stock tune. if you have a custom tune like blackbear or something, chances are you will see a bigger gain from a more wide-open intake, but it is equal chance that you already have a custom built or aftermarket CAI or some other open-filter-element design, so it prolly isn't an issue.

as such, putting some sort of forced induction "snorkel" on the intake prolly isn't gonna help you any, because after you vent the airbox, the restriction then lies in the stock, pre-TB baffling. even if a snorkel helped, you'd prolly need an engine tune to take advantage of it, and opening up and smoothing the baffling between the MAF and TB would give you a much greater benefit than putting a ram-air setup in front of the filter.

in other words - I stick by my statement that this mod is specifically for those people who want/have a high flow stock filter on a stock tune, and want to open up the stock intake without major re-design.

just my $.02 :beer:

Stockfornow

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Works great for a stock car! I have done it a couple times on my B Bodies. (See sewer pipe/swiss cheese in sig ;)

4410903911_42850ace21_b.jpg

DenaliAK

Colder than you
Reaction score
I'm not asking to rain on anybody's parade or anything, but because I am seriously considering doing this and don't know the answer to the following question:

What happens if water gets "splashed" in there somehow and sucked down the intake?

I live in a fairly wet, and sometimes very wet, place...rain, puddles, slush, condensation, snow, ice, spray...you name it, we got it...and I'd hate to kill something on the engine by getting some water splashed up in there.

OP
OP
ypsetihw

ypsetihw

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What happens if water gets "splashed" in there somehow and sucked down the intake?

I live in a fairly wet, and sometimes very wet, place...rain, puddles, slush, condensation, snow, ice, spray...you name it, we got it...and I'd hate to kill something on the engine by getting some water splashed up in there.

valid question - water in your engine could potentially cause it to stall or even hydrolock, but you'd have to suck up TONS of it all at once, basically by submerging the intake in a bucket at high RPMs. think about it - when you use seafoam, you suck liquid into the engine. when you add water/meth injection, you purposefully SPRAY water into the engine. not to mention, your engine compartment isn't air or water tight, and stuff is getting "splashed up in there" on a regular basis.

lets make this clear - YOUR STOCK INTAKE SETUP ALREADY HAS HOLES THAT LEAD TO THE OUTSIDE WORLD, THAT'S HOW AIR GETS IN THERE IN THE FIRST PLACE . . . THERE IS PROBABLY ALREADY DEBRIS IN THERE, AND ITS NO BIG DEAL, THAT'S WHAT THE AIR FILTER IS FOR . . . ok now that you've digested that for a minute you can relax.

keep in mind that the holes (both the stock inlets and any that you might add) are on the DIRTY side of the airbox, and the air filter is still in the way, not to mention that the airbox is still in the same position, so there is no risk of the filter element being submerged like you might have with a cold air intake that sits down in the fender.

in any case, a little "splash" of water isn't gonna get anything wet that wouldn't already . . . now if you go cutting the entire bottom out of the box like highrollin did, then you should at least put some mesh in there. but still . . .

highrollin113

Undercover
Reaction score
to add to the that i too live in a snowy fairly wet place as well and we had rain snow for the last week(my sig pic was taken last week sadly enough) and i never had any problems, before i cut the steel plate i looked at the underside of it and it was fairly clean no real signs of weathering water getting up there, but like yp said its the dirty side of the box thats where the air goes anyway and if there is moisture in the air some will get in and our engines run hot enough that when a small amount gets through it will boil off and evapourate anyway

DenaliAK

Colder than you
Reaction score
Alright, roger that, guys.

For some reason when I picture this in my head the holes are directly exposed to the intake with the filter above them. Hmmm.

Anyway, I appreciate the info. And no, I don't plan on submerging my Denali....so I probably won't worry about it.

I may go pick up a K&N drop-in today.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Happyguy88