2023 Yukon XL Windshield Wipers periodically stop working while driving

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

KMeloney

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'll turn rain sense off and will hit record if it happens again.

From the looks of things in this thread, it looks like you went a good 4 months before trying this (if you have, in fact, tried this). Assuming you have turned the rain sense off, have you had the problem since?

OP
OP
K

kjm_333

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
It happened today! I have had Rain Sense turned off since that suggested was posted above. I haven't had any full stoppages (it did pause twice mid-wipe but restarted immediately) until today. I had my kids in the car and was able to get a video showing Rain Sense turned off and my trying to get the wipers going without any luck. I even tried rapidly spinning the switch like was recently suggested. The wipers started moving after about 4 minutes, but pretty scary.
I will be calling GM Customer Care tomorrow and will also be reporting it to NHTSA as suggested above.

KMeloney

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the update. This is definitely crazy. I’ll be crossing my fingers during my rainy two 250-mile drives this weekend.

J2PDeweese

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have a 2023 GMC Yukon XL. I bought it brand new. I currently have 11K miles on it.

Periodically when I'm driving in the rain with my front windshield wipers on they totally stop working. I try every setting on the wiper dial (all intermittent settings and LO and HI) and they won't start working again. I will be driving at any speed up to 65 mph. They'll stay off for anywhere from 5-15 minutes and then just start working again. Everything else on that stem will continue working properly (all settings for rear wipers, turn signals, even the windshield wash button -- but no wipers).

This is clearly very dangerous and very bad. I've taken it to my GMC dealer, but they cannot find fault because it's not failing at the particular moment they are troubleshooting it. They've told me "too bad" which to me is ridiculous and they won't try swapping out parts to find a solution. I've escalated to GM Customer Service but so far they've only told me to seek a second opinion.

I have 2 questions:
1. Has anyone seen or heard of this before and have any recommendations on what could be wrong?
2. Does anyone have any advice on how to get better support from GM/GMC for something that is clearly a significant safety issue for a truck that is still under warranty?
Yes, I have the exact same scenario with my 2022 Denali! I am on my second trip to the dealership now. Stay tuned

OP
OP
K

kjm_333

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Yes, I have the exact same scenario with my 2022 Denali! I am on my second trip to the dealership now. Stay tuned
My dealer replaced the wiper module about two weeks ago. The report said they found an internal short causing it to periodically fail (I’m not sure I believe this as they might have just wrote this to count as a warranty repair).
It’s been 2 weeks now and so far haven’t had a repeat of my original wiper issue. My issue was so infrequent that I’m not claiming success yet, but I am glad that GMC finally started replacing parts.
Let me know what your dealer does to fix the problem!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
qurba55