DIY: High Flow Stock Airbox (Swiss Cheese Mod)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

owl_93

Full Access Member
Reaction score
aye, my bad bud. been a stressful day. didn't mean to jump ya like that..
No worries, it happens. I just like to keep it friendly and helpful up in here.

Sent from my Galaxy Note 4 via Tapatalk for Android

TheAutumnWind

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here's some pics of mine.

Cut out most of the bottom of the filter box, added a screen and bent it to fit in place, threw on some black silicone and a bit of black spray paint.
IMAG0289.jpg

Took a look @ the bracket in place. The cuts in the bracket line up with the opening in the airbox, looks kind of haphazard here... I didn't want to cut out more than necessary.

IMAG0294.jpg

Hit it with paint
IMAG0295.jpg

Did it make any difference? Who knows. Maybe someday I'll hit WOT on the freeway and find out.

It cost nothing but a few minutes of my time and materials that I had laying around in the garage. Had fun with my grinder and dremel too.

Looks like the inner fender well liner might scoop air up into this area.

Last edited:

owl_93

Full Access Member
Reaction score
:)

Way better than before. I would still cut alot more of that plate if not just toss it over the shoulder.

Does removing this much material drastically increase the risk of getting lots of water in there?

TheAutumnWind

Full Access Member
Reaction score
:)

Way better than before. I would still cut alot more of that plate if not just toss it over the shoulder.

You think so? The hole in the plate is nearly the same as the opening in the filter box. I really can't see any air flow improvements by removing it at this point, and I don't like the idea of the filter box bouncing around up there.

---------- Post added at 02:00 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:58 PM ----------

Does removing this much material drastically increase the risk of getting lots of water in there?

There really isn't any reason to think that lots of water could get pushed up there. There is the plastic inner fender liner blocking any water that would get thrown off the tire. I can't think of anything short of fording a river that would cause an issue, which I certainly don't plan to do, and I'm not sure that I could even find a river that was deep enough in CA to do that in right now anyways. (ugh drought)

ezdaar

Chat Troll
Supporting Member
Reaction score
eeh, if the holes match up, all is well.

As far as water. mine has been wide open with no plate. its a gigantic passage straight down to ground.
I have never had water issues and sometimes treat my vehicles like submarines.

owl_93

Full Access Member
Reaction score
eeh, if the holes match up, all is well.

As far as water. mine has been wide open with no plate. its a gigantic passage straight down to ground.
I have never had water issues and sometimes treat my vehicles like submarines.
As long as I can still get through some streams and small water crossings I'll probably cut out a fat hole in my plate and box when I get my hands on the right tools

ezdaar

Chat Troll
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Bud, if your doing any water crossings offroad. build a snorkel, not a street air box mod..
Would hate to see you do this and hydro lock your engine.

owl_93

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Bud, if your doing any water crossings offroad. build a snorkel, not a street air box mod..
Would hate to see you do this and hydro lock your engine.
Yeah a snorkel would be sweet, but TBH I don't do a lot of offroad stuff around water. In the past I've had to mob through some small creeks and stuff that were no deeper than my bumper. Im on the fence about this given the limited amount of performance it can give vs the potential risks. I would never forgive myself if I did this and ended up hydrolocking.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rick3645