DIY: High Flow Stock Airbox (Swiss Cheese Mod)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

owl_93

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Then skip it. Or at the minimum, get another oem box to chop up for street use and use the non modded for playing offroad.

Just had that thought myself. It takes like 30 seconds to swap out the box. I could chop one up and then when Im gonna hit the trails just throw on the unmodified box. 30 seconds of labor and far less risk.

TheAutumnWind

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just had that thought myself. It takes like 30 seconds to swap out the box. I could chop one up and then when Im gonna hit the trails just throw on the unmodified box. 30 seconds of labor and far less risk.

That sounds like a good idea. I'm sure you can get one for almost nothing.

owl_93

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That sounds like a good idea. I'm sure you can get one for almost nothing.
Yeah man. Go to a scrap yard and find the first 00-06 Tahoe, Yukon, suburban, Silverado or sierra. I'm sure they all probably have the same intake box

Sent from my Galaxy Note 4 via Tapatalk for Android

TheAutumnWind

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As long as I can still get through some streams and small water crossings I'll probably cut out a fat hole in my plate and box when I get my hands on the right tools

Sent from my Galaxy Note 4 via Tapatalk for Android

Swing by my house, we'll do it :)

TheAutumnWind

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The truck says its getting slightly better highway MPG. It even peaked @ 15.7 HWY woohoo!

Last edited:

Rannin

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I see that people have been doing this mod for a while, so I don't want to bore you with tedious detail. I tried a variation on the idea earlier today and wanted to share my results.

I cut a large rectangular hole in the bottom of the air box. However, I only cut three sides in the steel plate and just scored the side closest to the fender so I could hinge it there and make a flap. I'm really not sure if the flap will do anything whatsoever, but I wanted to try it and I have access to a welder and power tools.

Like I said, I'm not trying to bore you with minutia, so here are some "finished" pictures to illustrate.

Swiss%20Cheese%2014.jpg

Swiss%20Cheese%2015.jpg

Swiss%20Cheese%2021.jpg

If I were to do this again, or redo it, I would try to weld some sort of pipe to the bottom of the plate to make a snorkel for cool outside air. I might also try adding a scrap piece of steel to the side of the flap closest to the engine to try and block some ambient heat. As it is, I think it will get cooler air than the traditional swiss cheese "holes everywhere" method.

BTW, first post. Thanks.