Did my first oil change ever on my Tahoe. It was messy.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
How do people feel about poking a hole in the bottom of the oil filter to drain it before removing it?
I know that myself and other members have done this before and I heard about it here and have done it since. I always loosen the filter first before I do it.

B-train

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Changing your own oil puts you ahead of at least 75% of vehicle owners ability and level of effort.

6qts all day long.

Bet your mess was misjudging the stream arc out of the oil pan and when you took the filter out.
Yep.....it'll get the first time changers each and every time. It really goes the distance when it wants to get out of the pan :)

strutaeng

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How do people feel about poking a hole in the bottom of the oil filter to drain it before removing it?
I've tried it and still get oil spilled. It seems like the oil in the engine galley is still there when you remove the filter? Maybe in the galley above the oil filter housing?

But I do add a bit of oil on the new filter since maybe last year. I think that's more important to help prevent dry startups?

PG01

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've tried it and still get oil spilled. It seems like the oil in the engine galley is still there when you remove the filter? Maybe in the galley above the oil filter housing?

But I do add a bit of oil on the new filter since maybe last year. I think that's more important to help prevent dry startups?
Lotsa disagreement on your last statement…I always put some oil in the filter but years ago I used to completely fill it up to the point of if I didn’t hold it straight up and down it would spill out. I’m too old to be juggling s h I T around under there. Lube the gasket and send it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrSpork