Did my first oil change ever on my Tahoe. It was messy.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

iboughtatahoe23

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think I did ok. I drained the oil, installed the new and lubricated filter, added 5 quarts, ran it for a minute ( I heard lifters and stuff for a sec until oil reached everything is that normal) shut it off, checked stick, was on not level surface because I live on a residential street and don’t have a driveway.

Anyway, I didn’t see oil on a stick, so I ended up just adding all 6 quarts

OP
OP
iboughtatahoe23

iboughtatahoe23

Full Access Member
Reaction score
To add: was maybe on 10-15° grade. You know how them residential streets curve down on the sides?

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
You need to move to level ground and check fluid. The dipstick reads the top 2 quarts of oil. If you added 5 quarts and showed none on the dipstick and added one quart, it may still need another 1/2 quart to a quart. What does the owner's manual say? You have one for a reason. You should not be guessing on oil level. Your title says "messy". What was messy?

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Many owners on here fill the new oil filter with fresh oil prior to installing; doing that gets the oil circulating quicker. 3-5 seconds of top end noise is relatively common.

Ditto on letting it sit on level ground for 15 or 20 minutes (got a level spot at work or in a parking lot?), allowing the oil to drain from the heads, and checking it then.

strutaeng

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Messy because when you spin out the oil filter oil drips down on your hand? That's about as messy as I it gets. I've put a hole on the oil filter to drain it out, but oil still spills. Not too terrible though.

Otherwise it's pretty easy and quick. I can do an engine oil drain and refill in about 15-20 minutes on my GMT 800s 2wd.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Off Road Pedia