Did my first oil change ever on my Tahoe. It was messy.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
I've tried it and still get oil spilled. It seems like the oil in the engine galley is still there when you remove the filter? Maybe in the galley above the oil filter housing?

But I do add a bit of oil on the new filter since maybe last year. I think that's more important to help prevent dry startups?
Yup, oil still in the passage above the filter doesn't make it's way back to the pan thanks to the "anti-drain back" valve in the oil filter

strutaeng

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Lotsa disagreement on your last statement…I always put some oil in the filter but years ago I used to completely fill it up to the point of if I didn’t hold it straight up and down it would spill out. I’m too old to be juggling s h I T around under there. Lube the gasket and send it.
Disagreement on pre filling the oil filter? Really? Is it by the same guys arguing which is the best oil and filter? LOL

I'm kidding!

The oil filter just screws straight upwards on all the GMT800s (just looked at my suburban 4x4 to confirm it's the same as the 2wd.) I only fill it about 3/4 full and lube the seal.

But my k3500 OBS 5.7 SBC Vortec has that angled adapter to clear the front driveshaft. Now THAT creates such a mess! I've only changed the oil twice on that truck, which is not a daily driver and is hardly driven. First time I did it I thought it was a stupid design. I'd spill the oil if I tried pre-filling the filter.

And we also own a 2013 minivan with the 3.6 Pentastar. That one has that oil filter cartridge on top of the engine. I obviously don't pre-fill that one either.

So I can see why the disagreement now that think about it...:rolleyes:

Last edited:
OP
OP
iboughtatahoe23

iboughtatahoe23

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You need to move to level ground and check fluid. The dipstick reads the top 2 quarts of oil. If you added 5 quarts and showed none on the dipstick and added one quart, it may still need another 1/2 quart to a quart. What does the owner's manual say? You have one for a reason. You should not be guessing on oil level. Your title says "messy". What was messy?
The change itself. I made a mess under my car draining it. And it’s been about a week. Seems to be full. Maybe a hair to full but I was told these can run 2 quarts to full without issues.

89Suburban

Bull in the china shop
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I use a 5 gallon bucket with a concave fitted sifting screen. Unscrew the filter and let it drain then just unscrew it and dump it in the screen. Also catches the drain plug.

Larryjb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I like the bag trick. I use gloves so oil on my hands isn't an issue, but the oil drip onto the crossmember and makes a mess that way.

As for draining the oil from the plug, I have a small pan and hold it close to the plug when removing the plug, then set it down as it drains. The only problem I get is wind blowing the stream away from the pan.

B-train

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I like the bag trick. I use gloves so oil on my hands isn't an issue, but the oil drip onto the crossmember and makes a mess that way.

As for draining the oil from the plug, I have a small pan and hold it close to the plug when removing the plug, then set it down as it drains. The only problem I get is wind blowing the stream away from the pan.
Agreed. I have also found that if you have room to work, a pointed punch and hammer on the flat bottom of the filter works good. Pop a hole, then loosen it up. With warm oil, most will be out and minimal mess.

As for pre-filling filters, I rarely do it. I always do on large diesel units, but smaller gas motors isn't a big deal. Just crank it up after filling the crankcase and go. There is plenty of oil residue on all the surfaces for a few seconds of minimal pressure.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ihaveatahoetoo

Latest posts