Customer Service Really is Dead

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

YukonRog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So today I pulled one of the wheels off the Yukon to see where the slow pesky leak is. I was concerned it might be the rim again and wanted to know since it would depend on who I took it to. The tire shop, or the guy that repaired the rim. It's a 20" Aluminum Centerline and it had a small leak a few years ago.

So I filled up a kiddy pool and started searching. Happily it was a very tiny hole dead center in the tire and not the rim. So off to America's Tires where I bought the Cooper tires.

I pull up in front of the bay, get out, and drop the tailgate on on my Ram 2500 (sorry) and watched as at least 4 guys looked at me. Including 1 guy working the desk. I waited. And waited. Finally I yanked the wheel out and rolled it into the first bay and propped it against the wall. Then I went back to my truck and pulled my key and locked it as I went inside. See now I'm blocking the drive and a bay. And waited again. I'm thinking maybe at least someone say "We'll be right with you" right? Nope.

So finally one of the 3 guys at the counter asks if he can help me. There's only two other customers in there. I said "Well it ain't Les Schwab." He says "scuse me?" And I told him I felt I was being completely ignored. I say what I think and I'm a pretty big guy with tattoos and and a long beard so I think I intimidated him. He apologized and took my information. But where is customer service these days? I'm disappointed. I'm cordial to everyone wherever I go. That is as long as they don't treat me bad to start. Seems this attitude is everywhere lately. Rant over.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
I know and feel the same pain. I am 6'4" and between 280 and 300 lbs., depending. I have a big beard as well. I go out of my way to be cordial because, like you, some people get intimidated by my size and look. I am old, they should know I am just a Teddy Bear! Anyway, I work on vehicles on the side. Had to get some OE parts at the local Toyota dealer. Did not use one of them and took back today. I had paid cash when bought. Big mistake. The parts department starts out the day with a cash drawer and when I wanted cash back, they could not do it till they had some cash in the drawer, from a parts sale, to at least equal my return cash because at the end of the day, if the cash drawer is negative, "The bookkeeper is not happy". WTF. I said, "Ok, I will come back later today". I called 1/2 hour before closing and they still had not had a cash sale all day at the parts counter. I told them I will be in tomorrow and I will not leave without the cash money back in my hand. I will sit in the customer waiting area, that is right out front of their counter, that has people waiting for their vehicles that are in the shop. I will bring a book. I will even ask to speak to the bookkeeper. I am not leaving without my money. Bunch of shit.

You got to be kidding me! I can say shit but I can't say B*U*L*L*S*H*I*T! C'mon man!

By the way @YukonRog, I know about Les Schwab, here in Oregon. Not a fan of their "set the toe and let it go" alignments and I go to Discount Tire for my Coopers and a stand alone alignment shop just up the street from the tire shop. Les Schwab, for those not familiar with them, will run/jog out to meet you, ask what you need and take you inside to get written up. They even do free tire repairs. But, you are one lucky person to get out of there without a $2000 brake recommendation estimate.

Last edited:

Scottydoggs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
most ppl just show up to get a pay check. no effort put into the job.

last fall i needed new tires and an alignment as i had just rebuilt the whole front end, steering box and all. so they finally take my truck in 20 minutes past my appointment time, ( no one was there for me to be waiting on to be finished up either) this ex foot ball looking sized guy starts taking my wheels off, now get this. ear buds in, cell phone in his hand watching who knows what, but one lug nut off. stop watch the damn phone for a solid minute, this goes on and on, it takes like 20 minutes to get the wheels off, another 45 minutes to change the tires, 20 longer to put em back on. then the alignment took over a hr. its not even a 4 wheel alignment, ive had them done in 40 minutes or less, then i get my hoe back take off and notice they broke the vent shade over the window. then i notice the alignment sucks dog balls. u turn, go right back, ok well come back tomorrow at 10 and we'll redo the alignment, and ill check the cams to see what happened to the vent shade. talk about lazy worthless people. the vent shade deal, they never called me up to tell me what they saw on the cams. i know this ******* busted it cause he was working the wheel through the open window over and over off a little step stool. i spent over 800 bucks there, then wait hrs for the simple work to be done. i ended up buying new vent shades on my own dime. and they will never see me again.

side note. the second alignment, different guy took a hr, and i cant say im 100% happy with it either. id rather pay another shop to re do it at this point. i was leaning towards all new parts, its just tight, it will loosen up some over time. well its driving the same as back then....live and learn.

im also a monster at 6'6 and 260 ish on a good day. i look like i could be a problem and try to keep my cool, cause ppl really freak when i get loud lol

OP
OP
YukonRog

YukonRog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Reminds of when I bought a new motorcycle back in '81. I found a piece of piston skirt when I changed the oil. Okay dealer took it in a fixed it. NOT. I swear the timing was 180⁰ off. It was only half power. The Service Manager swore it was right and so the argument began. It ended when I told him no matter how badly it was running I bet I could wheelstand it through his plate glass window right into his desk. Oh, it wasn't 180⁰ off. It was 181⁰ off.

blueinkd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If I'm reading your post right, you pulled up America's Tires into a random bay and waited for someone to unload your tire. When the Techs didn't acknowledge you, you took it down and went inside. Inside the 3 guys working the counter were also slow to respond?.

I can't say I fault the Techs for not jumping at you to unload your tire and start any repairs as it doesn't work like that. They aren't there to write UP the ROs or do the customer intake process as they fix what they are told to fix and get paid for it. Hopefully the guy inside that helped you was able to get you squared away and your tire issue resolved.

I'm guilty of having high expectations for customer service as I am in the industry. I have been guilty of unrealistic expectations as well that were not within the scope of the services available.

OP
OP
YukonRog

YukonRog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If I'm reading your post right, you pulled up America's Tires into a random bay and waited for someone to unload your tire. When the Techs didn't acknowledge you, you took it down and went inside. Inside the 3 guys working the counter were also slow to respond?.

I can't say I fault the Techs for not jumping at you to unload your tire and start any repairs as it doesn't work like that. They aren't there to write UP the ROs or do the customer intake process as they fix what they are told to fix and get paid for it. Hopefully the guy inside that helped you was able to get you squared away and your tire issue resolved.

I'm guilty of having high expectations for customer service as I am in the industry. I have been guilty of unrealistic expectations as well that were not within the scope of the services available.
Technically I pulled into the "Free Air Pressure Check" coned off area. In the past someone would come right out and ask if you needed air. I specifically did that in hopes of getting some attention. If I was there for air I would've been waiting a while I guess. As I mentioned, if you pull into a Les Schwab someone actually runs out and asks if they can help you. In my mind if you're working in the bay and you see a customer that is standing there staring at you the very least you could do is acknowledge them and say "Someone will be right with you." Heck I get at least a "Hello" when I walk into my local Ace Hardware or the drug store. Even if they ignore you after that. Someone at least acknowledges I'm a customer.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
My personal opinion is that was completely uncalled for and I wouldn't have been surprised if they had simply asked you to leave.
If the guy working the counter at a tire shop in an area where Les Schwab is, he or she is gonna get the inference. If they can't take a joke, then life must be really hard for them. I am on the opposite side of your scale. If they acknowledge you and are very busy and it takes time to get back to you, all good. But to ignore you completely is just not good service and does not bode well for the feeling of a good repair experience because of lack of paying attention to detail and customers. The kind of prices shops charge now days should be backed up with a customer having a good experience and a feeling of the shop actually caring whether you do business with them or not.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BrentL9900