Cruise control not working

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Snacky

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hmm, what i just got must be old style then. I tried it, and lifting off the brakes just a bit made the lights go off but my foot was still engaging the brake a bit.

Does the AC delco part 25981009 mentioned above make the brake lights stay on until foot is removed from petal, or closer to it? If so, I think I'd rather have that one and don't mind spending the 15 bucks... now that I know what to do the swap only takes a few minutes.

JGman

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have a new to me 2011 Yukon XL that just went on it's first road trip. All was well for the first 3 hours with the CC, but functioned intermittently after that. I did notice that, if I just barely touch the brake pedal (I don't actually feel the pedal it's such a light touch), the cruise drops off and will not reengage. Unlike my truck that you actually have to push or move the pedal to have the cruise drop out! I'm guessing the switch is so sensitive, the bouncing of the pedal from highway bumps may be disengaging the switch!
I could put a "return spring" on the pedal and test the theory. I'll pick up a switch and give it a whirl. I'll post an update. As others have said, "Thanks to all for sharing your knowledge!"

JGman

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have a new to me 2011 Yukon XL that just went on it's first road trip. All was well for the first 3 hours with the CC, but functioned intermittently after that. I did notice that, if I just barely touch the brake pedal (I don't actually feel the pedal it's such a light touch), the cruise drops off and will not reengage. Unlike my truck that you actually have to push or move the pedal to have the cruise drop out! I'm guessing the switch is so sensitive, the bouncing of the pedal from highway bumps may be disengaging the switch!
I could put a "return spring" on the pedal and test the theory. I'll pick up a switch and give it a whirl. I'll post an update. As others have said, "Thanks to all for sharing your knowledge!"
Replaced the brake switch with a "Standard " brand from my local Independent parts house. Just returned from a trip to Mississippi, approximately 1400 mi including the riding around while down there. Cruise control worked perfectly! Never once failed to engage. Thanks to all here for your knowledge and wisdom and sharing it with the rest of us. By the way, it really is just a 10 or 15 minute job to change.

Straft

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I'm in the same boat as you. I have a 2003 Yukon XL Denali I have gone through all the fuses and electrical for the cruise control I did find my 3rd brake light did not work. So have replaced it. No luck with the cruise. I would like any in put anyone has. Please

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm in the same boat as you. I have a 2003 Yukon XL Denali I have gone through all the fuses and electrical for the cruise control I did find my 3rd brake light did not work. So have replaced it. No luck with the cruise. I would like any in put anyone has. Please

Does yours have a switch attached and above the pedals?

PeoriaBJJ

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
New to the site. I have recently bought a 2007 Tahoe as a secondary family truckster. No CC when I bought it. Everything else works so Im gonna but a new connector mentioned and see whats up! Cool forum! Im sure I'll be using it a lot!

fldsprinter

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Gentlemen,
I have the same intermittent problem of the cruise control. I made sure there were no codes in any module on my truck using the Tech 2 scanner. Then I rushed and got a new switch and changed it in 5 minutes or less. I was very disappointed when the control didn't work :shocked:. All the people in this thread were happy because it worked with them immediately :gathering:. I don't know why it didn't work for me although I'm pretty sure there are no codes present. The part I installed is brand new. The ACD number is D1539J.
GM number is 25981009. Its picture is in the attachments. Could anyone help?

Is this part called a "brake position sensor?"

Johnniev57

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
YAY! Looks like an old post. I just bought a '11 Yukon XL Denali a couple months ago. I was so mad that the cruise didn't work! Luckily I found this post!!! Easy fix.... Only thing different is I have a bolt that goes into the clip.... Thanks for this post!!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Turbokon