Cruise control not working

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mark harris

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I'm not aware of any adjustment for it, sorry. Does the yellow power light on the cruise on/off button on your steering wheel come on and the cruise just won't set, or is the light not illuminating at all?
The light on steering wheel works,no check engine light but I do have a tire psi sensor acting up but I clear it , cruise still don't work

OneTwo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The light on steering wheel works,no check engine light but I do have a tire psi sensor acting up but I clear it , cruise still don't work
Hmmm. I don't really know what that would be. Use the search tool on this site, I'm sure you'll find some answers!

PatDTN

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My 2009 Tahoe had the TPMS alert lit - almost certainly because the batteries in the senders are dying - and the same symptoms on the cruise. The light on the steering wheel came on and went off as I pushed the button. But no cruise. I replaced the brake light switch following instructions in many YouTube videos. I went under the dash prepared with my 1/4" drive air ratchet loaded with a 10mm socket. The entire operation took about 5 minutes and fixed my cruise control.

grnphrog

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have something to add: 2005 Yukon SLT, here.

I had the same issue with Cruise Control (CC) not working, and even replaced the Brake light switch, which didn't work. But it was this post that made me think of my brake lights.
I had replaced my brake lights with LED lights and didn't use resistors.
They seemed to work fine, so I went about living my life.
I first noticed my CC was not working during a long drive.
I finally got tired of watching my speed by paying attention while driving, and decided to fix it.
Google search led me here and I have read this whole thread (learned a lot, thanks people), but I had a different problem causing the same symptoms.
Today, I replaced my lights with regular lights and CC works again. Praise Be!

It has been frustrating chasing white rabbits down various holes, but found the solution through this community.

I wanted to say thanks to all who participate and share my own journey.

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have something to add: 2005 Yukon SLT, here.

I had the same issue with Cruise Control (CC) not working, and even replaced the Brake light switch, which didn't work. But it was this post that made me think of my brake lights.
I had replaced my brake lights with LED lights and didn't use resistors.
They seemed to work fine, so I went about living my life.
I first noticed my CC was not working during a long drive.
I finally got tired of watching my speed by paying attention while driving, and decided to fix it.
Google search led me here and I have read this whole thread (learned a lot, thanks people), but I had a different problem causing the same symptoms.
Today, I replaced my lights with regular lights and CC works again. Praise Be!

It has been frustrating chasing white rabbits down various holes, but found the solution through this community.

I wanted to say thanks to all who participate and share my own journey.
Yes the LED tail lights are well known to take out the cruise control. Resistors are the answer when this is the case. Glad you resolved the problem.

BryMan

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hey all,
Brand new to this forum from Seattle WA (GO HAWKS). I've been reading through because my 2007 Yukon XL's cruise control stopped working. Just like many other on this forum, the steering wheel light comes on but it does not engage and no light on the dash. I have replaced the brake light switch but it still does not work. Any other idea's?? Please.

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hey all,
Brand new to this forum from Seattle WA (GO HAWKS). I've been reading through because my 2007 Yukon XL's cruise control stopped working. Just like many other on this forum, the steering wheel light comes on but it does not engage and no light on the dash. I have replaced the brake light switch but it still does not work. Any other idea's?? Please.

Did you install LED tail lights? If so you need load resistors.

RobbieVA

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
The cruise on my 07 Tahoe stopped working. I was searching for a fuse and found this thread. Despite the auto parts guy telling me that it wouldn't fix the issue, I bought the brake pedal switch for $21.99 and after popping it on, my cruise is back. Thanks so much!