Complete Makeover

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Big Mama

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That’s a good plan you might save a few grand if you stay with an auto trans and if you want to go light to light shift manually. I think there are plenty of fenders and rockers out there vs metal working what you have. Lots of little ways to get more for your dollars. Good luck and post pics as you go

OP
OP
RAWVORTEC

RAWVORTEC

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I will be taking lots of pictures. This will be down the road. I'll probably start end of next year. Getting debt free before I throw extra money at this.

ColoradoMike99

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I understand where you are coming from. I have a 1999 2 door that I bought new. Sold it a few years ago, but kept in touch with the buyer, and just bought it back.
I also have a nice 1996 Bronco with mild lift etc, so not sure what I want to do with the Tahoe now. But doing a lot of research.

I also know Jonathan Ward - not personally, but have spoken with him in length on the phone. My wife has met him and done a tour of his shop etc back in April. We have contemplated one of his broncos. BTW, He has also done a few killer K5 blazers - one of which is back on the market now. He is top of the line. If he were to take your tahoe and restore/mod it, I bet it would cost 250k. Maybe 200k if you didn't go too far. Last I heard he was 18 months out.

For an engine, mine has 170k on it, if it ever needs replacing, I would probably do the HT383. I think it is a direct replacement.
5 speed manual would be fun, but no idea what a nightmare that swap would be.
Paint, suspension, lift, wheels, tires are all fairly straight forward. I think any reputable shop could do a fine job if you figure out what you want.

What do you want it to look like? Stock, original, mildly upgraded/udated? big lift etc.

Cigarman

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I just did all interior on my 2003 Tahoe la 5.3 headliner, katskin seats, carpet stereo and whole truck off and doors and floor sound dead matt for just under $3000. The more you do yourself the better you are. And I'm 66 years old.

YukonGTmaster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It does have sentimental value coming form my Dad. He's still alive, but he's important to me and I want to keep this thing forever. I'm not looking to go fast, but when i want to rip from stop light to slop light, I want it there. 500 doesn't seem all that much to me anyways. Maybe 700+ would be asking alot lol...Rust is mainly around fender wells and kick plate. It is 4wd, and I would maintain that. Obviously I'm not making money on something like this. I would have a $15k c5 vette to go fast in . This would be a labor of love. It looks like for a t56 4wd capable is $5k and an ls7 is $15k. This would sit at someones shop and get wrenched on when they're not busy. I'm in no rush at all. Like I was saying, I want it done right as if Jonathan Ward himself was working on it.
I totally know where you are coming from. I just removed all the rust on my 97 GT. I am the original owner, so it is sentimental. You just can’t go into a dealer and buy a new OBS. I can’t really give you a dollar figure for the rust, because I’m up here in Canada, and our money is worthless compared to USD. It would definitely be something to think about, fix rust or body swap. Please post some pictures of your ride. This project intrigues me.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SDHanz