Cold Air Intake (CAI) on 2013 6.2L - worth doing?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
LurkingLuke

LurkingLuke

Reaction score
Fueled by impatience, I just ordered the K&N kit for $300.. Their brand is still very strong after all these years, so I expect satisfactory results. I'll let you all know how it goes.

Thrust

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There is this.

intheburbs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Any filter that is "less restrictive" will let more crap into your engine. There's no magic bullet. That's physics.

Yes, the Air Raid tube will gain a few HP, as it is less restrictive and smoother than the oem tube.

Save you money and get a tune.

lyncht1967

Reaction score
No noticeable gains as the factory air cleaner is already the truest "cold air" intake.
You'd benefit a bit from a better air filter itself.
As far as decluttering and making a bit more noise the MIT tube thing good for that,
just don't expect any HP gains
yep, from all the research and reading i've done...the best bang for buck on these is a tune...from factory the box, exhaust, heads, are all really quite optimized already for average guy like me who stays in low rpms most of time

OP
OP
LurkingLuke

LurkingLuke

Reaction score
Thanks, Thrust, for the link to that series of tests. Odd that they say they tested the K&N but I didn't see the graphs, only the numbers (nice torque boost through all RPM ranges and a modest HP gain with a fat curve). I may have to hire a dyno shop just to satisfy my burning curiosity....

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There is this.

Ehh. Different engine. Apparently, the intake design of that one leaves more to be had than the one of the prior generations.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've long been skeptical of CAIs and what sound/performance benefits they give, if any. I'm uninterested in bling, I'm going for pure performance-related gains.

I like a deeper intake sound and some street-RPM power gains would be very welcome. What have all your experiences been like on the 6.2?

No bling? Then, for performance, you'd be all set with a substantial seal between the filter box and fender and maybe a good filter. But, there's really nothing to be improved beyond that. The foam seal is the factory setup's only real fault. It's thin and deteriorates with age then falls in and allows some of the hot engine air to be inhaled. I replaced mine with some Frost King 2.25" square weather seal- about $8 at Lowe's. My IATs in start-stop traffic are 1-5° above ambient at most. Of course, they rise when idling for a long time, but that's to be expected. Even then, it's not a whole lot. They quickly drop once driving again. Cruising on the highway, the IATs will match ambient. You can't get any "cooler" air than that, and it's under $10.

For sound, anything that loses those muffler chambers (Helmholtz resonators, if you wanna be a nerd about it) will increase the intake sound. I'm a fan of the Airaid MIT. It's simple, relatively cheap, easy to install and looks good. The intake sounded so good on mine that I bumped a louder muffler further down my list of mods. If you're crafty and on a budget, you can make a considerably good-looking intake tube with PVC or ABS pipe and appropriate rubber couplings from the plumbing section. Some nifty gluing, sanding and painting and only you would ever know what it actually is.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GinoTahoe