CB Radio Location

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

troxclair88

Reaction score
I'm going to have to research mine again for you. I have everything built into the microphone with my small base under the front seat. As for an antenna, I have a firestik and love it. I have it mounted on the driver's side as you discussed.
I'll take some photos for you tomorrow before work.

OP
OP
B

bluebear15

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm going to have to research mine again for you. I have everything built into the microphone with my small base under the front seat. As for an antenna, I have a firestik and love it. I have it mounted on the driver's side as you discussed.
I'll take some photos for you tomorrow before work.

Pictures would be great to see how you have it.

I'm also interested in the cost of things Ken mentioned

Kenny D

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The cost depends on the CB shop. Most CB shops will do the SWR calibration if you purchace the antenna there or have them install the system. The peak and tune also depends on the shop, If I were to guess in today's prices, it would probably cost about $25 to $50 for the radio guy to go through your radio. Some may even do it for free if you purchase your radio there. As for the "fire in the wire", not all shops do that as for it is illegal for Citizen Band radios and require "Licensing" for ownership of a linear amplifier.

Kenny D

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Also, to clarify on the SSB, that will come built in to the radio itself. Not all radios have that ability. If you wanted to get really into the radio world without going all the way into shortwave and Ham license, Look into Galaxy radios. There are models like the 500 that have your standard 40 channel AM bands with Upper and Lower SSB, but also have FM frequencies. They are pricey but are considered on the lower end of mobile radios. Most CB's do not have the SSBs. I was given the Realistic that I had by my father because someone gave it to him and he did not want it.

TigerEyz3

Slow and Steady
Reaction score
I vote Wilson on the antenna...the higher you mount it, the better the signal (transmit and receive) will be. I also STRONGLY agree with setting the SWR correctly...makes a world of difference when it comes to transmit/receive clarity as well as distance.

I started out with a magnet mount on the roof (Li'l Will), but eventually drilled a hole and mounted mine through the roof (Wilson 1000). The through-the-roof mount is removable, [EDIT for clarity: the COIL is removable, the hole and mount remain - a cap is threaded in place of the coil] so it's not on all the time (garage clearance or just not needed/wanted).

I've carried a conversation with a person that was ~20 miles away with my Wilson 1000 setup while sitting in my driveway (he had an amp/footwarmer/heater on his setup). The driver said I was "loud and clear". Conversations on the highway were getting similar reports. Keep in mind that geography (mountains, hills, valleys, flatland) and weather (cloudy/rainy vs. sunny/clear) all play a part in CB range and clarity.

Last edited:
OP
OP
B

bluebear15

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the input guys. I was thinking of maybe selling my Cobra and maybe get one that's smaller size to fit better in between the cigarette lighters pocket. What are the main things to look for in a CB? Also, does anyone have any suggestions on a smaller size CB?

TigerEyz3

Slow and Steady
Reaction score
True CB radios have the necessities (guts, performance) in common. The non-essentials (aesthetics) are really the differentiating factors. As long as you go with a reputable brand you've got a good starting point.

Get it peaked and tuned by a reputable radio tech and you'll get maximum performance - whether you choose to keep it legal (4 watts) or boost the power. Just remember, don't skimp on the antenna or connective wiring and make sure that your power/ground connections are clean/strong.

OP
OP
B

bluebear15

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was looking around at different more compact CB's and came across this Uniden CMX560
that looked like it would be compact and easy to mount as well as be a good CB that I'm looking for. The other one I was looking at was Midland 1001Z that is still pretty compact but doesn't have the weather channels. Was wondering your guys thoughts on these two or if there are other options that might be better.

TigerEyz3

Slow and Steady
Reaction score
Uniden and Midland have been around a long time...I see nothing wrong with either brand.
Personal choice in desired features will be subjective.
Have fun, it's just a radio... if you get one you don't like, replace it with a different one.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dzg9