Radio initializing message

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jobi-Wan Kenobi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Figured I'd share this since I really didn't find much info on the subject.

Earlier this week my radio (it's the stock system) just stopped working one morning and wouldn't turn on. It would just display "Initializing" on the screen sometimes and wouldn't turn on. I only found one forum post from somewhere that someone said there was a CD stuck in there that wouldn't come out. Well the display had always indicated that were some in there but they would never come out whenever I tried the eject button. So I went on a bit of an adventure this morning and removed the radio from the dash and took it apart to see what I could find. Take the top panel off and you can see down inside there There was 1 CD stuck in there on the eject cycle plus 4 more. Two I was able to work out myself. The other 3 I got out after I plugged the unit back in and used the eject button so the changer would move the disk around. Then I could move it out of the slot. And now I have a functioning radio again. If you do end up doing this yourself I would advise you to find an extension for the antenna cable because GM in their infinite wisdom made this one so short that I can't get it plugged in with the dash in place. I even tried pulling out the HVAC control module to make some room but no luck.

Attachments

• 20230819_082446.jpg
    20230819_082446.jpg
    316.2 KB · Views: 7

mattbta

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Timely post. I was putting a harness in for line out and stupidly didn’t disconnect the battery or pull the radio fuse. As soon as the radio got power, it started its initialization and got all jacked up and thought it only had 4 discs in it. I pulled it and slid them all over the spindle but now it’s even worse, every time I start it, it clicks like it is trying to cycle through the discs. I found a smallish spring on my floor later but no clue where it goes.

Ordered a touch screen nav unit and will put that in to see how it sounds/works. If I don’t like it, I’ll order the changer drive unit and replace. I knew I was on borrowed time with the original because each disc change operation sounded like it was really laboring. Stupid stuff like this happens to me every time I try something.

IMG_2921.jpeg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Off Road Pedia

Latest posts