catalytic converter?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

chacho44

Full Access Member
Reaction score
removed mine and the truck sounds fine, very little diff in sound but still running stock muffler

Jay

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Modern converters do not rob enough power on a bolt-on vehicle to be worth the trouble of removing them. Like anything else they are designed for a flow rate. The stocker might cost a 5.3 5-10hp at 5k rpm, and considerably less in the lower rpm. The stock muffler robs a lot more than that. If you mod a stock 5.3 or 6.0 to 400hp it'll keep up fairly well. At 500hp (assuming you are turning 6500rpm or more, or using N2O/boost) then the stock converter probably will be eating a lot of power (20hp+)... there is a sharp break-over point to where it really starts robbing power as you increase the flow rate/load rate due to turbulence (study up on Reynold's number for fluid flow).

Personally, for a road vehicle I'd rather keep the cats. Just size it/them to the power level and not have to smell those rancid fumes.

sstuck2

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
removed mine and the truck sounds fine, very little diff in sound but still running stock muffler

hey man, hate to revive this ancient thread, but I have a 03 z71 tahoe and I want to cut the cat off but i dont want a check engine light on all the time. Did you have any issue like that?

DCT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
hey man, hate to revive this ancient thread, but I have a 03 z71 tahoe and I want to cut the cat off but i dont want a check engine light on all the time. Did you have any issue like that?

How do disable the check engine light after removing the cats?

franksbanks

Reaction score
How do disable the check engine light after removing the cats?

a custom tune- you can disable the bottom 2 (post cat) sensors-

the o2 sensor above the cats (pre cat) are needed for the truck to operate-

if you dont want to spend 399+ for a tune- the alternative is to use o2 simulator/Eliminators (google search) to keep the voltage registering that theres an o2 sensor actively working.

livingez_123

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Federal offense, your no fun.

The smog check here in Portland, OR is a simple plug in the OBD port and a look with a mirror under the truck to see if the cats are there.

jmgak47

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Removing the cats should give you roughly 8 or so hp to the wheels, a slight loss in throttle response and a CEL.

You can eliminate the CEL with custom tuning or spark plug nonfoulers, a cheap alternative.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SRobinson541