catalytic converter?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

shady1up

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Is there much of a performance gain to be had by ditching the catalytic converters for straight pipe? Some times it sounds like wrenchs are rattling in them 2001 yukon 5.3 141,000

Physh1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You can gain a little performance if they are removed & you get a matching tune. No smog checks where you are?

Cameron

OP
OP
S

shady1up

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Nope no smog checks in my area of colorado and I thought about doing the egr delete with my tune too. Has anybody had any issues with the egr delete?

soulsea

Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Actually, even if there were smog checks, most if not all cars built since 2000 would pass anyway ... as I understand it the catalytic converter is one of the most redundant and unnecessary pieces of equipment on any fuel injected car. It takes fuel to keep it hot to function properly.

There's a great thread about it in another forum I frequent: http://www.abovetopsecret.com/forum/thread572015/pg1

I'm not good with mechanical stuff so I don't know what the HP gain would be by removing it, but it is fundamentally a scam.

Cheers! :)

07Burb

GM fan for life
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
:hmm: Intriguing. I'd never heard that!

brad6603

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I had the so called rattling noise near my cataylic converters on my 2001. Come to find out it was the downstream 02 sensor. I unscrewed it out and you could hear it make a racket when you shaked it. It was like it had busted inside. I later found out it is made of a ceramic material just like a spark plug. Replaced both rear 02 sensors and the rattle sound went away.

ezdaar

Chat Troll
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Donot do the egr delete, unless you want to loose aprox 2mpg, The performance gains are so minimal that you need a Dyno to see the difference.
But the loss in Fuel is felt immidiatly in your wallet..

As far as the cat's yea remove them for fakes and get a good tune. the smog test will never know the difference. only visual test will.
I replace mine with hollowed cats, that have a tube stuffed into them to keep my flow pattern the same as a straight pipe, but passes visual.

07Burb

GM fan for life
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Where you buy fake pass threw cats?

TogaPC

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I could be wrong, but from what I know the performance gain from removing cats is negligible since the stock cats flow very very well. It will be quite a bit louder though. These modern engines are made to work with the cat and EGR and all the other emission equipment to produce great power and a minimal amount of noxious gases. In other words, you don't stand to gain much, and it's a FEDERAL offense.

Does anyone have definitive dyno results or track times that say there is a gain?