Can I paint my Depos

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

05Single

afraid of the dark
Reaction score
I thought that all Depos were black? I thought that was the whole point. A guy by the login "Whistler" on an Fbody forum figured out the baking method, and painted all the chrome black. I had always planned on doing that to the headlights on my Camaro. I changed from the faded stockers, to angel eye halos, and then when the lenses were done on those, I went to ebay. Low and behold! Depo headlights, already black and ready to go! Saw the name Depo on some Fbody related pages, and according to them, Depos were the headlights with the blacked out reflectors. This is the first time I have seen Depos with chrome, or atleast the first time I've known what they were.
Every company ever have always made a chrome or black version.... depo, tyc, apc, sonar, ipcw, exc...
Like I said oven cleaner sprayed on the chrome melts away leaving a gloss black finish. I've also taped off areas to be left chrome while I sprayed oven cleaner on other areas of the light housing for different looks or design for a combination of black and chrome.

Back N Black

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Then I got some bad info. I was told the blacked out headlights were called Depos. Like that's what that style was called, not necessarily a name brand.

The oven cleaner method sounds pretty simple. When I read your suggestion the first time, I assumed that this was a prep method, until I read further in, that it leaves a gloss black surface. It just seems like it would eat up the plastic. :hahano: I will definitely have to try this in the future. My gf has a vehicle with factory "euros." Gotta get rid of that chrome crap. Literally the only chrome all the vehicle that I can recall.

05Single

afraid of the dark
Reaction score
Then I got some bad info. I was told the blacked out headlights were called Depos. Like that's what that style was called, not necessarily a name brand.

The oven cleaner method sounds pretty simple. When I read your suggestion the first time, I assumed that this was a prep method, until I read further in, that it leaves a gloss black surface. It just seems like it would eat up the plastic. :hahano: I will definitely have to try this in the future. My gf has a vehicle with factory "euros." Gotta get rid of that chrome crap. Literally the only chrome all the vehicle that I can recall.
Doesn't work on all lights, works on 80% from what I've seen and experienced. Test a spot on your gfs lights first. Or do some research for that vehicle.

Back N Black

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok, good to know. I'm thinking about going to Pull-A-Part to get a set of taillights with the red lenses anyway. I can try this method on her's, and if it doesn't work, I wouldn't really be out anything.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rick3645