Can a 6.0 2002 engine work with a 2007 5.3 harness and fit a 2007 Tahoe ?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Cuhstillo

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
My 5.3 on my 2007 Tahoe recently messed up so I’m thinking about 6.0 swapping it but idk if I can just pass the harness and the intake over to the 6.0 since it’s just the engine with no cables ? Will it work and what do I need to do ?

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My 5.3 on my 2007 Tahoe recently messed up so I’m thinking about 6.0 swapping it but idk if I can just pass the harness and the intake over to the 6.0 since it’s just the engine with no cables ? Will it work and what do I need to do ?

It can be done. But, IMO, it's not worth it.

The '07 is a Gen4 engine, the '02 is a Gen3. The Gen4 has knock sensors on the lower sides of the block, above the oil pan and the Gen3 has them in the lifter valley, between the heads. The Gen4 has the camshaft position sensor built into the front timing cover whereas the Gen3 has it in the block at the rear center, next to the oil pressure sensor. These are actually the [relatively] easy differences to overcome.

The REAL work is the reluctor wheel on the crankshaft. This lets the PCM know the position of the crankshaft in its cycle, which it compares to the position of the camshaft to determine spark and fuel timing as well as misfires. The Gen3 and Gen4 engines have vastly different reluctor wheels. You'd have to change the one on the Gen3 to the one from a (or from your) Gen4. This requires disassembling the bottom end to remove the crankshaft then meticulously and accurately swapping the reluctor wheels. It's a bit of hackery, but you might be able to swap the entire Gen4 crank into that Gen3 block. Just replace all the bearings and cross your fingers. If you disassemble the bottom end, you might as well just do a full rebuild, though.

The other internal difference is the camshaft and timing set. Similar to the crankshaft reluctor, the Gen4 has a 4x trigger on the cam gear versus the Gen3's 1x trigger on the camshaft itself, at the rear. The Gen4 also has a single large bolt to hold the cam sprocket to the cam whereas the Gen3 has three small bolts. You can get a cam sprocket from GM that has the Gen4 timing triggers but with the Gen3's three-bolt cam pattern. Again, this is the least of your worries compared to the crankshaft reluctor wheel issue.

All else (intake manifold, front accessories, starter, etc.) can be used from the Gen4.

What messed up on your '07 engine?

Last edited:

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
used engine's galore on ebay with free shipping, way less hassle. junkyard prices will vary but many will sell them just as cheap as can be found on ebay and/or you can haggle for the price, junkyard prices are not set in stone you can make offers all they can say is no. just don't come at them with half price offers, haggling is a art.
ask if there is a core charge, if not then ask if you can get some credit for your core, is it cheaper for short block, etc, etc,

Just Fishing

Can't fix stupid
Reaction score
I sorta looked into this.
Dub has it right.
Lots different going from gen3 to gen4
You have to really know what your doing.

I was amazed how much a gen4 goes for when compared to a gen3.

When i looked into it, gm had a bunch of deals for blocks and complete ready to drop in engines.
Rebates and all.

I opted for a bare block thinking i would save money.
Lol

In the end i came out about as much as the new engine, but my engine has nicer heads and valve train.

Also the adventure... so much adventure.

Get ready to pay a few grand, get a nice lower mileage engine.
Local would be better, you might even get to confirm the mileage from the donor.

Bad part will be the wait.

The guy i hire for welding jobs got a full 6.2 and 6 speed with low mileage for 5k.

He slapped that baby into his jeep.