2012 tahoe engine swap 5.3 to 6.0

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

paul268

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hi looking at replacing a high mileage 2012 tahoe [240,000] lmg 5.3 to a 2011 l96 6.0 119,000 miles leaving everything stock. Could this be simple swap or does the harness and ecu have to be changed with it as it would come with engine, also would transmission be affectedin any way {6l80e rebuilt} any help appriaciated. Also the issue with the 5.3 being what sounds like lifter noise at 1800rpm up to 2300rpm on number 2 cylinder, any input? thanks

strutaeng

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That should be a pretty simple swap. The LS engine family are pretty much identical on the size, sensors and bellhousing pattern bolts. You will need an ECU reflash for the correct engine, however.

The L96 did not have DOD/AFM, only VVT and came on the HD trucks and vans.

I don't know on your 5.3, but definitely diagnose it properly before condemning it.

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hi looking at replacing a high mileage 2012 tahoe [240,000] lmg 5.3 to a 2011 l96 6.0 119,000 miles leaving everything stock. Could this be simple swap or does the harness and ecu have to be changed with it as it would come with engine, also would transmission be affectedin any way {6l80e rebuilt} any help appriaciated. Also the issue with the 5.3 being what sounds like lifter noise at 1800rpm up to 2300rpm on number 2 cylinder, any input? thanks
Your existing harness and ECU will work, but as the previous poster says, you will need to have it programmed to tune out AFM because your LMG has it but the 6.0 does not. So that will need to be done before first start. After that, you will also need to have various tables in the ECU tuned for the additional fuel flow of the L96 and its different injectors, health of the various sensors, etc. @BlackBearPerf should be able to do this tuning for you over email via their Autocal device.

While you have the engine out, replace the torque converter with a stronger billet unit like CVC BU60FHD, or equivalent, if it hasn't been replaced in the last 100K miles. And of course don't forget the motor mounts, oil cooler hoses, coolant hoses, etc etc if they're still original.

OP
OP
P

paul268

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Your existing harness and ECU will work, but as the previous poster says, you will need to have it programmed to tune out AFM because your LMG has it but the 6.0 does not. So that will need to be done before first start. After that, you will also need to have various tables in the ECU tuned for the additional fuel flow of the L96 and its different injectors, health of the various sensors, etc. @BlackBearPerf should be able to do this tuning for you over email via their Autocal device.

While you have the engine out, replace the torque converter with a stronger billet unit like CVC BU60FHD, or equivalent, if it hasn't been replaced in the last 100K miles. And of course don't forget the motor mounts, oil cooler hoses, coolant hoses, etc etc if they're still original.
Thank you for nthe reponse, also getting harness and ecu, with it , possible just a ecu swap also?

strutaeng

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thank you for nthe reponse, also getting harness and ecu, with it , possible just a ecu swap also?
I would keep you ECU, it works and is already programmed for your VIN and gear ratio/tire size. If they do the ECU reflash through HP Tuners they will likely ask if you want VATS deleted.

I don't believe VATS is a real issue on this generation of trucks, but I don't believe it really prevents theft either. Maybe someone else can chime in on that. One of my trucks I deleted it because I swapped the engine, transmission and ECU.

I would recommend you invest in new loom for the harness. The loom gets brittle and wires can chaff and lose insulation, causing shorts, especially near the sensor connectors and areas of high heat. Loom and electrical tape is inexpensive, just takes some elbow grease to clean, inspect and re-loom.

Last edited:

Monz11

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Taken the time to rust proof and sound proof while the engine is out. Atomic motor mounts are poly so they will hold up and ate definitely worth it. I redid my entire suspension, brake upgrade. And ran all new brided trans and fuel lines from back to front, while it was out. As far as heating and cooling, spend the time to do it right! Get the gruven parts metal Ts and replace all hoses. I am planning on braided lines, after I upgrade my water pump! It takes time but if you're going this far do ut right.

DesertRat

Reaction score
Check onallcylinders.com for engine specs. I swapped my LMG out last year for an LY6, that site was extremely helpful in identifying differences. In my instance, LMG injectors flow better than those in an LY6, so I had them rebuilt and flow tested to use in the LY6. Outside of that I also swapped the front cover since my LMG did not have VVT (2007). Didn't even have to touch the wiring harness.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thekenstar

Latest posts