Build up on exhaust tips

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MrBalll

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So, I have this gross build up on my tips. When looking at it it appears a little darker than what it is in the photo. I have tried everything I have so far to remove it.
Simple Green
Wax and Grease Remove
Goo-Gone
Compound
Chrome Polish
Soap and water
None of these really cleaned it except Goo Gone and it didn't do too much. Scraping it with a finger nail also removes it pretty well, but that would take forever.

My guess is since our water here has more calcium in it than a cows utter when I drive through the water it splashes onto the tips, dries in the Texas heat and then I neglect to clean them well during car washes so it has just caked on real bad. It is also really rough feeling, almost like little snippets of sand paper.

Does anyone have any ideas on how to clean/remove this stuff, whatever it is? Thanks.

Also, I will link the photo so I can have a larger resolution picture of it.
http://img857.imageshack.us/img857/1065/dsc0135pi.jpg

LuSe4

Bleen Member
Reaction score
If it was mine, I would use a fine steel wool with metal polish. Mine are stainless and this is what I use. They shine up just like chrome.

mmeachem

Reaction score
If it's chrome idk but I have stainless steel so I sprayed wd40 on it and it came right of

mmeachem

Reaction score
If it's chrome idk but I have stainless steel so I sprayed wd40 on it and it came right off with the help of the green side of a sponge

Sorry for x2 post

OP
OP
MrBalll

MrBalll

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hm, mine are black chrome so I'm not sure if the wool would scratch the heck out of it or if it is fine enough I could just use some Scratch-X afterwards.

soulsea

Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
clr?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pepper1700