Any tips on bug and road tar/gunk remover?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

exp500

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Years ago before recipe changed Turtle Wax Bug and Tar was the "new car smell" . Soak a paper towel and toss it under a seat day before you sell it!

Stbentoak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The best Ive found is Tar-X. You mist it on and it immediately turns every microscopic dot of tar purple then it dissolve and runs like blood down your paint. Used it for years. Never harmed a thing….

Oh Kee Pah

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've found that the Chemical Guys have pretty darn good products...
That said, I don't think anything will beat a good ol' CLAY BAR. Clay bar LUBE is a must; don't ruin your paint while you're trying to clean it up!
Get a good can of elbow grease too.
With the clay bar, give your lower door panels a whirl first, see how much gunk you pull up with the bar in just a 2'x4' area...if you've never used one before you'll be amazed. Oh, and clay bar only begins AFTER giving her a good wash.

grouch

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Lot's of petroleum based stuff will work. Goof Off, Goo Gone, WD-40, Diesel fuel, #2 fuel oil (I've also run that in diesels), kerosene as well as Bug and Tar remover. Don't leave any on very long, just long enough to remove the crud.

Looking forward to summer, I recently had to quit riding motorcycles, but I didn't use water to wash one for many years. On the front of my vehicles when I'm going on a long trip or lots of short ones in the wooded areas around here, I'll clean the front of what ever I'm driving with Lemon Pledge. Clean it good and use a COTTON cloth. Do NOT use a paper towel as paper is pounded wood and will scratch the finish. An old T shirt with no print works great. You want Lemon, not Orange, Pledge. Orange leaves a film that is really hard to get off. With Pledge on there, bugs won't stick, another shot of Pledge and rub down and they come right off. For a really big and stubborn bug carcass, soak a rag with Pledge and lay it on there and let it soak a bit.

mountie

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Lot's of petroleum based stuff will work. Goof Off, Goo Gone, WD-40, Diesel fuel, #2 fuel oil (I've also run that in diesels), kerosene as well as Bug and Tar remover. Don't leave any on very long, just long enough to remove the crud.

Looking forward to summer, I recently had to quit riding motorcycles, but I didn't use water to wash one for many years. On the front of my vehicles when I'm going on a long trip or lots of short ones in the wooded areas around here, I'll clean the front of what ever I'm driving with Lemon Pledge. Clean it good and use a COTTON cloth. Do NOT use a paper towel as paper is pounded wood and will scratch the finish. An old T shirt with no print works great. You want Lemon, not Orange, Pledge. Orange leaves a film that is really hard to get off. With Pledge on there, bugs won't stick, another shot of Pledge and rub down and they come right off. For a really big and stubborn bug carcass, soak a rag with Pledge and lay it on there and let it soak a bit.
I knew of used car dealerships used Pledge to shine up the engine bay. Worked good!!
( But I'd never do that on my stuff)

idfresh1

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have noticed that the shape of the Yukon/suburban/tahoe seem to allow micro dots of road gunk to adhere to the back lid. I notice it on both of my Yukons. I have been using Turtle Wax bug and tar remover to reasonable success. I would rate it a 7 out of 10. The only better product is the long gone GM tar remover in the metal can. That was the BOMB.

Any suggestions? I noticed these spots multiplying on my White Yukon. It still winter (albeit a mild one) in north central WI, so I still have anothe couple of months to be able to easily clean/wax/detail my rides confortably.
WD-40

Stbentoak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've found that the Chemical Guys have pretty darn good products...
That said, I don't think anything will beat a good ol' CLAY BAR. Clay bar LUBE is a must; don't ruin your paint while you're trying to clean it up!
Get a good can of elbow grease too.
With the clay bar, give your lower door panels a whirl first, see how much gunk you pull up with the bar in just a 2'x4' area...if you've never used one before you'll be amazed. Oh, and clay bar only begins AFTER giving her a good wash.
Except when you mist something on like Tar X, it finds every microscopic spot, even ones you can’t see, that’s what makes this method more valuable. You may not see it but it’s there.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ajdahl8660