Lights flash 9 times at Key on and at start up????

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Chris2388

Reaction score
This is on my 2004 Suburban Z71.
Every time I start my truck or even when I go KOEO all my interior lights, headlights and dash lights flash exactly 9 times.
After the flashes everything works as normal.

I cant figure out why.
I notice it also clicks a relay behind the passenger kick panel. A factory relay. The lights all flash even if I remove the relay.

I have no aftermarket remote start, alarm, radio or anything.
I have checked all grounds in engine bay, interior and under the cab. I have added 3 new grounds to the engine bay.

It's an Oklahoma truck ZERO rust.

I thought it might be VATS so I removed it in the Tune. Still does the same thing. I cant figure it out.

Has anyone ever had this happen if so how did you fix it.

Is there a circuit that runs all these lights that I need to find?

Ill be looking at the Fuse block and checking every relay.

Donal

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This is on my 2004 Suburban Z71.
Every time I start my truck or even when I go KOEO all my interior lights, headlights and dash lights flash exactly 9 times.
After the flashes everything works as normal.

I cant figure out why.
I notice it also clicks a relay behind the passenger kick panel. A factory relay. The lights all flash even if I remove the relay.

I have no aftermarket remote start, alarm, radio or anything.
I have checked all grounds in engine bay, interior and under the cab. I have added 3 new grounds to the engine bay.

It's an Oklahoma truck ZERO rust.

I thought it might be VATS so I removed it in the Tune. Still does the same thing. I cant figure it out.

Has anyone ever had this happen if so how did you fix it.

Is there a circuit that runs all these lights that I need to find?

Ill be looking at the Fuse block and checking every relay.
I think the airbag module flashes several times each KOEO event, maybe a cluster circuit to circuit short. I think the body control module controls everything but power train.

OP
OP
Chris2388

Chris2388

Reaction score
I think the airbag module flashes several times each KOEO event, maybe a cluster circuit to circuit short. I think the body control module controls everything but power train.
I tried a simple reset by removing the batteries for 2 hours with the key in the on position. No change. I will start looking at wiring near my AB module and around my cluster.

Donal

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I tried a simple reset by removing the batteries for 2 hours with the key in the on position. No change. I will start looking at wiring near my AB module and around my cluster.
Be sure to disconnect the battery before handling the air bag controller, the wiring for air bags and seat belts. You may need to access a scanner that can show live data

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
meandmyhoe20

Latest posts