Brakes: softer/mushier/harder to stop than NNBS?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

04ctd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
we had a 2007, then 2013, and now a 2016.

the wife & I both think the 2016 brakes don't seem as good as the NNBS, are we just crazy, or ...are the brakes worse on the newer SUV's?

bgsntth

Reaction score
I concur, and as soon as Hawk offers their LTS pad for 2014+'s they will go on my truck. The positive aspect of the OE pads is very minimal dust, but I'm happy to step-up the cleaning regimen.

Kpwweb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Guess it depends on how many miles you have. I originally thought the brakes were poor and stiff. 30k later they stop very well and are much easier to modulate. Guess it just takes awhile for them to get bedded in.

I still want a big brake kit, but over time these have gotten much better.

OP
OP

04ctd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
thanks, I can tell because I go PAST the point where I was going to turn in, and my wife is SCREAMING, and it just does not stop like the NNBS did, I guess my brain has to relearn the new vehicle...

Fifty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Bleed your brakes. People are shocked to find out how much air is in the system from the factory.

Air can get trapped in the lines which is an easy fix.

Air can also get trapped in the abs system but that takes a computer to activate it to bleed. Good thing is this usually clears itself out with use, but the air still then moves and gets trapped in the lines.

Get a good bleed and see if that helps. I bet it will.

Last edited:

3girls1boyYukonXL

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I'm starting to feel a pulse when braking. Not pulling left or right, just that shutter. I would like to get new rotors and pads. What do you think or recommend i get?. Safety first, I got 3 little girls and a new boy back there.

bgsntth: I saw those Hawks online, but honestly it was my first time ever seeing that brand. Are those good?

Fifty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just get yours turned. You probably have deposits. Much cheaper than just buying new. Rotors are usually good for two sets of turns.

Otherwise call kns brakes and they will walk you through quality vs cost of a ton of brands. They carry all sorts and have great pricing

Fifty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oh, I almost forgot. I use hawk hp, hps and hp+ on all of my street cars. By far the best street pad out there.

Unless you live in the snow. They take one small application to get a tiny bit of heat. They work great with just rotation friction heat, but parked stopped over night, they have a pine block feeling for the first little bit of use. Usually the application to slow down after the roll out of my driveway (short driveway, two cars long) is enough to get rid of the feel.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ihaveatahoetoo