Borla Pro XS, Airaid Jr, SLP Tip installed... Video

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Snacky

Full Access Member
Reaction score
After reading a bunch of posts here and chatting with some folks, I decided to replace the muffler and delete the resonator rather than go with a full catback system. I am very happy with it. Here are the part numbers and some comments/questions... and a vid :burnout:

http://youtu.be/7pQ6Vrr_RVY

***edit*** finally got around to putting together some in-cabin sound while driving video, here ya go...

http://youtu.be/byrAlOxbkbc

Airaid Jr. 201-796
Borla Pro XS Muffler 40359
SLP Tip 31059
No Tune Yet

Had the muffler shop go ahead and weld the SLP in rather than using the clamps. Cost for welding in muffler and SLP was $63 out the door. I love the sound, not too little, not too much. I think it sounds like what it is now. There is a little drone. I noticed most guys with this set up saying they didn't have any but I do. Its not a deal-breaker, not too bad, just noting that there's a little there. GM did a great job designing the exhaust system to keep it quiet in the cab. I don't realistically think you can go hacking it up and not have any consequences related to cabin noise, I'm ok with that. Before today I wasn't crazy about the Airaid Jr. It had a noise thats hard to explain but it sounded like the motor would flood with air and there would be a hollow-like vroomy sound and it would take the motor/computer a second to catch up with or handle that air. Not sure if thats how it works, just trying to describe the way it sounded and felt. Well, not anymore. It may be a placebo affect but I think the Hoe is a little more responsive and peppy. Even if its not, it sure sounds like it is. I do notice a change in sound when the motor switches from V8 to V4. I haven't got around to disabling that yet. Is that something I can do or does it have to wait until I get it tuned? Glad I didn't spend 5X as much on a catback! Now I'm thinking about headers. I don't think I really need them, but you know how it is...

Last edited:

992dr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nice job man, great video to ;)

That muffler is quite a bit smaller than the stocker. That may be the reason for the drone. Regardless, it sounds great.

When you get a tune they will disable the DOD. As far as I know there is no other way unless you delete it completely.

OP
OP
Snacky

Snacky

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nice job man, great video to ;)

That muffler is quite a bit smaller than the stocker. That may be the reason for the drone. Regardless, it sounds great.

When you get a tune they will disable the DOD. As far as I know there is no other way unless you delete it completely.

Yeah, I was surprised to see how small it is compared to the stock muffler... Cute little thing but it packs a nice punch. I'm diggin' it! :smoke2:

Shimmy23

Full Access Member
Reaction score
sounds great! I'm going to start with the resonator delete and slp. I still want mine fairly quiet and zero drone.

OP
OP
Snacky

Snacky

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Cold starts sound great.

Then it gets boring from there lol

^ Have to agree. If you don't want drone maybe keep the resonator and try a different muffler. Some folks have been happy with a magnaflow, I think the part number is 12589 but don't quote me on that, I'm pulling it off the top of my head and could be way off mixing it up with something else.

Goodinblack

I Like Tacos
Supporting Member
Reaction score
40359 Muffler Center/Offset Oval 3" 14" x 4" x 9.5"

40359_xlarge.jpg

12589.jpg

---------- Post added at 01:06 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:04 PM ----------

Magnaflow is a larger muffler, thus theoretically it should have less drone.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ahmedsz