Black Bear or Hypertech Max Energy

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
Sorry want to thread jack but how many of you would choose a custom tune over a hand held programmer?

I've always used a hand held and never been unhappy, but I like to the on the fly tune change option.

Sent while day dreaming...

kschumake83

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you get a good custom tune you don't need to change on the fly. I am so happy with my tune I just run 89 all the time. Lew did a great job.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

Reaction score
If you get a good custom tune you don't need to change on the fly. I am so happy with my tune I just run 89 all the time. Lew did a great job.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

Really? I've never had a custom tune, but I like the change on the fly because I'd run the Eco mode 80% of the time with the ability to change to 91 when to race, off road, and to tow. Best of both worlds.

Sent while day dreaming...

choodock

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is there a way to have a custom tune and then use a hand held to make changes for tire size later (I am constantly swapping wheels and tires between vehicles)?

JennaBear

Resident Ninja
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
With the autocal, you can have different tunes for your different tire sizes. Still 100% custom.

Sent from a jelly bean.

Eli B

Reaction score
Great thread, very helpful since I'm also trying to decide between tuning options for my 02 tahoe. So far I've done a cai exhaust and bigger rims/tires. The intake and exhaust has not made noticeable improvements so I need a tune badly to actually see gains. Looks like hypertech fits me best. Anyone know which model is best? Or where to get best price?
Thanks!!

igell

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have an 01 6L Denali and having problems finding any info on the internet about gains from a tune.
Has anyone actually tuned an 01 with a 4speed and seen any noticeable gains?

I am not a complete newb to tuning as i have tuned an older m3 and a 335i. With turbo cars significant gains are easily achieved with very good $ to HP ratio. naturally aspirated cars will not see much gains without major engine work/ headers/ etc.
A mostly stock denali is said to gain around 20hp/20tq with a tune. On a 7000 lb truck i cant see this being noticeable. I dont see how gains between blackbear scan cable and any other over the counter tuner are going to be significantly different. For the most part, they all tweak the same parameters. Also, my understandingt is that on an 02+ denali with a 5speed has shift points are adjusted while the 01 w 4speed wont get much value out of this adjustment.

anyone able to shed any more light on this?

Justin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have an 01 6L Denali and having problems finding any info on the internet about gains from a tune.
Has anyone actually tuned an 01 with a 4speed and seen any noticeable gains?

I am not a complete newb to tuning as i have tuned an older m3 and a 335i. With turbo cars significant gains are easily achieved with very good $ to HP ratio. naturally aspirated cars will not see much gains without major engine work/ headers/ etc.
A mostly stock denali is said to gain around 20hp/20tq with a tune. On a 7000 lb truck i cant see this being noticeable. I dont see how gains between blackbear scan cable and any other over the counter tuner are going to be significantly different. For the most part, they all tweak the same parameters. Also, my understandingt is that on an 02+ denali with a 5speed has shift points are adjusted while the 01 w 4speed wont get much value out of this adjustment.

anyone able to shed any more light on this?

On that engine, gains are typically in the 25-30hp range and even at the 5000-5500lb range that it is, they can still be very noticeable. You won't only see improvements at full throttle, you should see efficiency/power improvements at all load points.

The 01 has the same transmission as all 01-06 Denalis, which is a 4 speed based on the 4L60E platform. Many of the response improvements can come from transmission tuning on that particular vehicle, as the factory shift points, both up and down, are very lack-luster in timing and pressure.

Regarding the difference between our tunes and any handheld, those differences can be significant, especially with our scan cable, AutoCal or in person option. Most handhelds on that model make less than a dozen changes based on one or two test vehicles that may or may not have been running in ideal condition at the time of the tune. Our tunes are built based on thousands of past vehicles of similar build and are custom tailored to your specific vehicles needs and often, your usage.

No handheld can even properly compensate for something as common as a cold air intake, let alone more extensive modifications.

Last edited:

igell

Full Access Member
Reaction score
On that engine, gains are typically in the 25-30hp range and even at the 5000-5500lb range that it is, they can still be very noticeable. You won't only see improvements at full throttle, you should see efficiency/power improvements at all load points.

The 01 has the same transmission as all 01-06 Denalis, which is a 4 speed based on the 4L60E platform. Many of the response improvements can come from transmission tuning on that particular vehicle, as the factory shift points, both up and down, are very lack-luster in timing and pressure.

Regarding the difference between our tunes and any handheld, those differences can be significant, especially with our scan cable, AutoCal or in person option. Most handhelds on that model make less than a dozen changes based on one or two test vehicles that may or may not have been running in ideal condition at the time of the tune. Our tunes are built based on thousands of past vehicles of similar build and are custom tailored to your specific vehicles needs and often, your usage.

No handheld can even properly compensate for something as common as a cold air intake, let alone more extensive modifications.

thanks for the reply...
is that 25-30 at the crank or at the wheels? and is this with 91 or 87 gas?

Justin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
thanks for the reply...
is that 25-30 at the crank or at the wheels? and is this with 91 or 87 gas?
We cannot measure crankshaft gains without pulling an engine, so all gains that we quote at any point are going to be at the wheels. 91 octane will yield gains on the higher end of that spectrum on average whereas 87 can yield gains on the lower end.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rick3645