Best Way To Free Wheel Hub

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

lkrasner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A few months ago I replaced my driver front wheel hub on my 02 Tahoe 4wd. Man was it a brutal job. Took me a day to get it off. The spline was free with little effort, but the hub was totally seized on to the spindle. I soaked it with penetrating oil, beat the hell out of it with a hammer with no luck. Eventually I pulled out the air chisel and worked all around the edge where the hub and spindle met, with the dust shield in between. Sacrificing the dust shield, I eventually could get the chisel to work its way in and free it up, but it took hours.

Now, the right side has gone out too, so I want to figure out a better way to get this one off. Does anyone have some magical tips? I tried putting a bolt through where a wheel stud was and cranking it against the spindle, but every kind of bolt I could find stripped out. (I used full force on a 2 ft breaker bar and it wouldn't break free.)

Someone suggested that I back the bolts out a couple terms then drive the car down a bumpy road to knock it free. Is this a good idea or is something terrible going to happen if I try?

Sasquatch

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I`ve always used an air chisel with good luck. I just grind the chisel down so there`s a thin blade on it so wedging it between the hub is easier and it causes less damage. I just hit it behind all three bolt holes evenly until it comes out.

I`ve heard of the driving down the bumpy road method but personally i would not try it.

ccapehartusarmyINF.(ret)

Full Access Member
Reaction score
can you get a large adjustable wrench on it i mean large
or put the socket you were using back with the breaker bar on it find a piece of steel tube that will fit over that breaker bar that will extend it another foot or two and strong enough to support your weight and just bend a little and not just fold in half put all your weight on and kinda bound up and down and it should break free

OP
OP
L

lkrasner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
can you get a large adjustable wrench on it i mean large
or put the socket you were using back with the breaker bar on it find a piece of steel tube that will fit over that breaker bar that will extend it another foot or two and strong enough to support your weight and just bend a little and not just fold in half put all your weight on and kinda bound up and down and it should break free

There's nothing to get a socket on, but trying to get the whole unit to turn with a big pipe wrench isn't a bad idea. I've seen some that open up absurdly wide, then I'd just need to get a huge pipe on it.

ccapehartusarmyINF.(ret)

Full Access Member
Reaction score
if you can get a big pipe wrench on it get a big heavey sledge and give it a good wack

---------- Post added at 08:30 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:29 AM ----------

can u post a pic so we can see what were dealin with

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Off Road Pedia