Free to me 1996 GMC

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Dantheman1540

Dantheman1540

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Made a bunch of progress today.

-Installed the oil cooler adapter with new seals.
-Installed oil cooler lines into adapter.
-Added new oil and oil filter.
-Removed 2” spacers from up front and replaced them with 1.5” making the front to rear width almost perfectly even having 3”in rear.
-Mounted core support and reinstalled all fender and fender liner bolts.
-Routed main light harness through core support and cleaned up more wire sheathing.
-Routed PS cooler lines and mounted PS cooler.
-Hooked up battery to see if truck was going to freak out and it didn’t seem to.

I feel like I did more but I forgot.

Next I need to:

-Return all AL radiator and buy an OEM one because AL one is wrong size.
-Find that one dang trans line that seems to be impossible.
-Buy radiator hoses.
-Buy coolant, although first few drives will be under just water incase the water pump is trash and I have to replace it I don’t waste $30 in coolant.
-Buy AC rebuild kit because I’m here why wouldn’t I.

Then just continue installing things I already have. I do think I’m gonna ditch the color matched bumpers for original chrome ones with the bump strips.

Attachments

• IMG_1714.jpeg
    IMG_1714.jpeg
    394.5 KB · Views: 3

strutaeng

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Did you figure it out? ...saw on the other form about the fuel issue...

I would get a working fuel pressure gauge. Or just check the one you have on another known good vehicle.

The original poppet type spider injectors need a minimum fuel pressure to work properly (can't recall what it is off the top of my head right now). If you have flow and pressure, but below the threshold, truck won't fire.

OP
OP
Dantheman1540

Dantheman1540

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A couple more things I’ve found.

-brake lights don’t work at all, not turn signals or reverse lights ether. I already installed an aftermarket replacement set maybe they don’t work with it for some reason. Will swap stocks back in.

-has ball cooler vent very cash money

-has three cigarettes lighter ports so I can chain smoke more effectively

-has cool work light that you can unspool and take with you around the engine compartment.

-Needs brake help, master cylinder was almost empty when I got it, I topped it off and the brakes do work, but not well. Not sure if I’m gonna H2 axle swap it to fix the drum brake problem. Or if the fronts need help, I did check pads and rotors up front they seem fine.

-Extended cab window brackets are all busted, window appears to be held in with tape.

-Need bulbs for passenger side turn signals, they broke when trying to remove them.

Attachments

• IMG_1836.jpeg
    IMG_1836.jpeg
    169.2 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_1838.jpeg
    IMG_1838.jpeg
    197.3 KB · Views: 2
OP
OP
Dantheman1540

Dantheman1540

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Started cleaning up the interior and found some dark staining, looks like from dark soda probably mixed with alcohol. He was notorious for driving around with a 64oz big gulp full of rum and coke or vodka and lime. Also found two cans of tomato paste, I’ll be sure to drink them in his memory.

Got the eBay lower shroud in and it’s actually a super nice unit that fits perfect, very happy with that. Had a helper while I tried to bolt the bottom up. Also installed the headlights but still waiting on the grill.

Attachments

• IMG_2017.jpeg
    IMG_2017.jpeg
    421.4 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_1855.jpeg
    IMG_1855.jpeg
    282.9 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_1841.jpeg
    IMG_1841.jpeg
    841 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_1840.jpeg
    IMG_1840.jpeg
    316 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_1839.jpeg
    IMG_1839.jpeg
    437 KB · Views: 3
OP
OP
Dantheman1540

Dantheman1540

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Got my LMC order and got the grill on. Put the temporary bumper on but only with a few half tight bolts because I’m missing two brackets and need a floor jack to help tweak a few things into place better. Also got my mini carpet shampooer and it kicks butt! Gonna pull the interior tomorrow and spend a few more hours sucking out the yuck.

Attachments

• IMG_1884.jpeg
    IMG_1884.jpeg
    675.2 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_1878.jpeg
    IMG_1878.jpeg
    551.5 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_1882.jpeg
    IMG_1882.jpeg
    564.8 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_1885.png
    IMG_1885.png