Best car jack for occasional use?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

08HoeCD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I need to buy a decent jack. I'm guessing I'll have occasion to jack the truck only a small number of times annually----2 or 3----so I'm not interested in paying $$$$. What would you recommend? A 3-ton from Harbor Freight? Other?

Last edited:

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The aluminum "racing" jacks from HF have consistently been hailed as a solid jack for the price. I bought one almost a decade ago and it has always served me well. One time, it got stuck under my lawnmower. After trying to lift it with a big pry bar and hurting my already screwed-up back, I lost my temper and spun the mower around (Dixie Chopper 50" zero-turn) a bunch of times while hopping the front end off the ground and slamming the jack into the edge of the driveway trying to get it unjammed. I was fully prepared to go buy another one, expecting the jack to be mangled. The only damage it suffered was scratches, a severely bent handle/brace and every void in it was packed with grass and dirt. I cleaned it off and still use it with no worries.

502373D5-5CF5-4D05-AB91-8A831BC98C1E_zps4epqma2y.jpg

CD39E3D9-0F12-4959-80B6-B1727D58D872_zpsdtsvhzhn.jpg

Find and print off one of their ubiquitous 20%-off coupons and go treat yourself.

HiHoeSilver

Away!
Reaction score
I got the low profile one cause i have a mustang to get it under, but still Pittsburgh 3 ton. Works great.

sumo

dn ʇǝƃ ʇuɐɔ & llǝɟ ı
Reaction score
I need to buy a decent jack. I'm guessing I'll have occasion to jack the truck only a small number of times annually----2 oe 3----so I'm not interested in paying $$$$. What would you recommend? A 3-ton from Harbor Freight? Other?

I'm using the HF 3 ton at work. It's works very well and no problems with it

PG01

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I bought a 3.5 ton jack from sams club(like costco, bjs, etc) like 15-20 yrs ago... it has a quick up foot pedal and i can swap the pad with a taller one for higher vehicles and its still going strong. Ive used and abused it and lifted everything from my cars/trucks to my deck steps to my father inlaws deck to fix the footings. I dont think I paid more than 69.99 or 79.99. I also have a smaller craftsman that i keep in the trunk of my honda so i dont have to deal with stock crap jack(140 mile roundtrip commute) check the warehouse stores. My 2 cents

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laurents10