NNBS Swap out single speed T-case for two speed

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DaveO9

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hello all. I posted a week ago about how my '09 was totaled in a roll-over accident. (We all walked away then and still doing fine now). Haven't gotten much traction with insurance settlement yet so it's probably premature, but I've been doing some looking online for a replacement. I know I want '09 or later for the 6L80, but I believe in '10 and after the two-speed t-case became optional. Many of those I see have just a single speed t-case. What would it take to do the swap? Besides the t-case itself, I know I'd need the dash switch and harness, anything else? Would there be any TCM work needed for speed output signal? I'm going to look into doing a buyback of my totaled '09 and do the part-out myself. It's 400 miles away, though, so probably won't be cost effective.

Before anyone asks, yes, I do use 4-low. Not often, but I like having it there when I need it. One example: I have a utility trailer that I have to back up a steep, narrow, dirt driveway on my property. 4-low makes that task much easier. I use it occasionally for other things too.

Anecdote, skip if not interested: I have some experience with PCM signals for a 2-speed t-case, but much older: 1991 3/4 ton suburban with 4L80e. Due to various mods (383 stroker and later model trans) I had to run a '94 PCM. I did all the repinning myself. In between '91 and '94 they changed the speed signal set up. In '91, the PCM knew it was in 4-low based on differential signals between trans and t-case output speed signals, but in '94, they relied on a switch built into the t-case shifter that told the PCM it was in 4-low. I ended up having to mount a switch to the gate that would close when it was shifted to 4-low. It worked!

OP
OP
DaveO9

DaveO9

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I did it a few years ago on my 2011 it works great. It's a simple swap over.

Transfer case, Dash switch and TCM For mine there was no programing and it still uses the same wiring harness.
Awesome, good news. I should know this, but where is the TCM located in our rigs? I'm used to the late model squarebody and GMT400 that had a PCM - engine and trans control in one pretty small box, behind the glove box.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hello all. I posted a week ago about how my '09 was totaled in a roll-over accident. (We all walked away then and still doing fine now). Haven't gotten much traction with insurance settlement yet so it's probably premature, but I've been doing some looking online for a replacement. I know I want '09 or later for the 6L80, but I believe in '10 and after the two-speed t-case became optional. Many of those I see have just a single speed t-case. What would it take to do the swap? Besides the t-case itself, I know I'd need the dash switch and harness, anything else? Would there be any TCM work needed for speed output signal? I'm going to look into doing a buyback of my totaled '09 and do the part-out myself. It's 400 miles away, though, so probably won't be cost effective.

Before anyone asks, yes, I do use 4-low. Not often, but I like having it there when I need it. One example: I have a utility trailer that I have to back up a steep, narrow, dirt driveway on my property. 4-low makes that task much easier. I use it occasionally for other things too.

Anecdote, skip if not interested: I have some experience with PCM signals for a 2-speed t-case, but much older: 1991 3/4 ton suburban with 4L80e. Due to various mods (383 stroker and later model trans) I had to run a '94 PCM. I did all the repinning myself. In between '91 and '94 they changed the speed signal set up. In '91, the PCM knew it was in 4-low based on differential signals between trans and t-case output speed signals, but in '94, they relied on a switch built into the t-case shifter that told the PCM it was in 4-low. I ended up having to mount a switch to the gate that would close when it was shifted to 4-low. It worked!
In 2010 GM introduced the single speed MP3010 transfer case for 4x4s equipped with 3.08 highway gears. A Tahoe/Yukon won't be so spritely off the line as we are with our 3.42s and they hunt for the perfect gear at speed until tuned.

petethepug

Michael
Reaction score
Since you wrench, expand your search into the Esky’s too. The majority are AWD and a few 2WD starting 09 to 14.

It would literally be a parts swap to go from AWD to 4 hi/low based on other threads that have done the swap. All Esky are 403hp 6.2L and 07/09 have no AFM with 09 having flex fuel. 09 had updates to the address trans weaknesses but most have already had a rebuild by now.

OP
OP
DaveO9

DaveO9

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I finally did this swap. Bought all the stuff months ago: eBay for the correct OEM dash knob and TCCM, LKQ for a 2-speed T-case with around 120K miles.

Mechanically the swap was no problem - everything came apart and went back together fine. My second t-case swap in one of these rigs (my '09 Tahoe the planetary came apart) so I sort of knew what I was doing.

When I first turned the key to run, I got a "Service 4wd" message and zero action from the switch, could not hear any clicking from the t-case or the front axle locking. I was nervous that I would have the opposite experience of others that have done this swap and would have to reprogram the TCCM. But I plugged in the old TCCM and everything worked, just didn't have 4-low. Swapped back to the new one and Voila! everything's working now, including 4-low. I don't know why it didn't work the first time, maybe the new t-case needed the original module to get the shift motor calibrated. Or possibly one of the wiring connectors wasn't firmly seated, but I did check that. Who knows.

Very pleased to have 4-low now. Next on the list: replace all four front control arms and maybe new struts at the same time. Then aux trans cooler and after that regear front and back to 3.42 or 3.73.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thekenstar