BB Tune & AFE GT Intake on 15i+ Denali

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

stealthall

Reaction score
Does anyone have the BB Tune + AFE Intake installed on their Denali? If so, what do you think the HP & TQ gains are?

I am estimating: (with both installed)

420HP... now 457HP
460TQ... now 510TQ

Seem pretty accurate?

OP
OP
S

stealthall

Reaction score
So I installed the AFE last night and should have the BB Tune late this week or early next week. They have a before and after CAI install log.

The intake is REALLY loud. The slight bit of acceleration and it screams. Obnoxious. When I am up to speed, let’s say 30-40MPH and then apply more pedal it sounds proper and authoritative. It’s the starting out and really low speeds that are ridiculous. Anyone else experience this? Will the BB Tune address this?

07 Denali

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I installed the AFE last night and should have the BB Tune late this week or early next week. They have a before and after CAI install log.

The intake is REALLY loud. The slight bit of acceleration and it screams. Obnoxious. When I am up to speed, let’s say 30-40MPH and then apply more pedal it sounds proper and authoritative. It’s the starting out and really low speeds that are ridiculous. Anyone else experience this? Will the BB Tune address this?
Do you have the plug in or out on the filter housing? If you are running the Momentum GT I’ve been told with the plug in, the noise is reduced drastically. In the newer boxes, the plug is in the bottom vs in the front of the box near the grill...not sure which AFE model you have.

OP
OP
S

stealthall

Reaction score
Do you have the plug in or out on the filter housing? If you are running the Momentum GT I’ve been told with the plug in, the noise is reduced drastically. In the newer boxes, the plug is in the bottom vs in the front of the box near the grill...not sure which AFE model you have.

Hey - thanks for the reply. The plug (it’s maybe 2” by 3” in size is in the front on mine and has been in from the get go.

I have this one:

aFe Power Momentum GT Stage 2 54-74104 Cold Air Intake - Sealed Intake With Filter

Thanks!

07 Denali

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey - thanks for the reply. The plug (it’s maybe 2” by 3” in size is in the front on mine and has been in from the get go.

I have this one:

aFe Power Momentum GT Stage 2 54-74104 Cold Air Intake - Sealed Intake With Filter

Thanks!
The noise is just part of the deal with an intake. I’ve had 3 AFE’s and loved them all (minus the noise). On a stock tune, they have helped throttle response and my shift points are lower. With a BB tune you will really notice the difference because the tune will allow the engine to use the better airflow. At this point I would make sure your box is seated properly and there are no leaks in the connections in order to reduce any noise. Or just take out the plug for a few day to REALLY increase the noise and put it back in and be happier that it is quieter!

OP
OP
S

stealthall

Reaction score
The noise is just part of the deal with an intake. I’ve had 3 AFE’s and loved them all (minus the noise). On a stock tune, they have helped throttle response and my shift points are lower. With a BB tune you will really notice the difference because the tune will allow the engine to use the better airflow. At this point I would make sure your box is seated properly and there are no leaks in the connections in order to reduce any noise. Or just take out the plug for a few day to REALLY increase the noise and put it back in and be happier that it is quieter!

Ok. I was thinking/hoping the BB Tune would dial in the noise a bit. I am going to take it out and reseat it, I am not 100% sure it is fully in all the plugs and holes, it does wiggle a little. I know the connections are solid as I tightened those really good. Perhaps it is shaking a little too much and needs to be reseated.

Thanks for the help!

07 Denali

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oh yeah,
Ok. I was thinking/hoping the BB Tune would dial in the noise a bit. I am going to take it out and reseat it, I am not 100% sure it is fully in all the plugs and holes, it does wiggle a little. I know the connections are solid as I tightened those really good. Perhaps it is shaking a little too much and needs to be reseated.

Thanks for the help!
Yeah, those boxes can be a booger to get seated properly which means the seal isn’t in contact with the fender wall so you could get some excess noise. Don’t get me wrong, all together properly it will still be louder than stock.

OP
OP
S

stealthall

Reaction score
Oh yeah,

Yeah, those boxes can be a booger to get seated properly which means the seal isn’t in contact with the fender wall so you could get some excess noise. Don’t get me wrong, all together properly it will still be louder than stock.

I expect it to be louder. It’s just the very low speeds and starting off when it “jumps” or “freaks out a little” and makes a cheesy sound going 10MPH. It’s like my German Shepard puppy - there is no middle ground, he is sleeping or going 100MPH!

Now when I am on the highway and give it some gas to pass a car, it’s awesome! It’s just the “excited puppy” noise when I am at carpool picking up the kids that’s annoying.

07 Denali

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I expect it to be louder. It’s just the very low speeds and starting off when it “jumps” or “freaks out a little” and makes a cheesy sound going 10MPH. It’s like my German Shepard puppy - there is no middle ground, he is sleeping or going 100MPH!

Now when I am on the highway and give it some gas to pass a car, it’s awesome! It’s just the “excited puppy” noise when I am at carpool picking up the kids that’s annoying.
Embrace the puppy! Next time you pick up the kids, as you are rolling up, put it in neutral and ref the engine...gets ‘em every time! Interested in the results and your opinion of the BB tune. Had a 97 and 07 Yukon and a 13 burb. The 07 was BB tuned and loved it. 18 Denali on order should be here in another 3 weeks. AFE and Hotchkis sway bars already on order.

OP
OP
S

stealthall

Reaction score
Embrace the puppy! Next time you pick up the kids, as you are rolling up, put it in neutral and ref the engine...gets ‘em every time! Interested in the results and your opinion of the BB tune. Had a 97 and 07 Yukon and a 13 burb. The 07 was BB tuned and loved it. 18 Denali on order should be here in another 3 weeks. AFE and Hotchkis sway bars already on order.

They have asked me to do it...”I’m not there yet”.

I will let you know after I get the BB back and run the truck a little.

Let me know after you install the AFE on your new Dan-Ely. I would be curious to hear your feedback.

Tell me about these sway bars...what would be the true benefit?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rick3645