Ball Joints 09 Hoe/85K miles

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tibo77

Reaction score
Anyone else had any early wearing ball joints? Guy at tire shop said it's uppers, I'm trying to get in and get a second opinion but seemed a little low mileage (85K) for ball joints. :wtf:

NJ04HOE

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I recently changed mine @ 92k and they were shot. I did uppers,lowers & outer tie rods all of them were shot and probably should've been done around 85k or sooner

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Tibo77

Tibo77

Reaction score
I recently changed mine @ 92k and they were shot. I did uppers,lowers & outer tie rods all of them were shot and probably should've been done around 85k or sooner

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Hate to hear that, but at least it sounds like it's not all too odd for that to happen. I'm thinking along the same lines though, if I'm going to do uppers, I might as well rebuild as much of it as I can while it's down.

OP
OP
Tibo77

Tibo77

Reaction score
Second opinion on my ball joints. Some wear but not near enough to replace. Looks like the tire shop boys were wanting to make some extra cash.

Wake

Full Access Member
Reaction score
These are heavy trucks and early wearing of the suspension components isn't uncommon.

UCAs are pretty easy, I just replace them as they're cheap and the UCA bushings are usually shot/cracked at that mileage anyway. I rebuilt my entire front suspension at 70K miles, right after I bought it because while it passes inspection it wasn't tight. Now it steers like a brand new vehicle.

Nortex

Full Access Member
Reaction score
We see 2-3 a week at our shop.

Sent from my SCH-S968C using Tapatalk

sumo

dn ʇǝƃ ʇuɐɔ & llǝɟ ı
Reaction score
My lowers Started Creeking when turing the wheels. They were still tight. I went out to the local napa and picked up a Grease needle attachment, Stabbed the boot and greased the hell out of them. I put a little RVT silicone where i made the puncture. Worked the wheel back and forth, No more sound. I have a set of Moog Joints to install, but why bother if the old ones are still good for now?

CrashTestDummy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I'm seeing the availability of complete control arm assemblies as replacements. While they're not cheap, going this way would cost about $700, it might be nice to have a spare set of arms that I can replace the bushings and ball joints on at my leisure, and not _having_ go get it all done in a weekend.

Has anyone gone this route? If not, how tough is it to replace the ball joints-only?

sumo

dn ʇǝƃ ʇuɐɔ & llǝɟ ı
Reaction score
Hard if you don't hate the right equipment. You'd need a press or air impact with some ball joint attachments. Seperating the ball joints on the ground is a pain in the ass.
I seperated mine by using a BFH at the point where he joint goes into the knuckle. But since you're replacing you could use a pickle fork since you don't have to worry about destroying the boot. Also if you have 4wd, the axle got to be removed so you have room to remove the boot.
if you repalce control arms, you're most likely going to need an alignment after you're done. The new bushings are tighter and might throw off the alignment angles