Back Up Lights not working

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

emann_01

Full Access Member
Reaction score
thread title explains itself but here is the troubleshooting I have done...

- If I send +12V from the light side of the fuse, the lights come on...this proves wiring from fuse box to lights are good and bulbs are ok

- Fuse is fine...self explanatory

- when shifted to reverse, +12V does not come to the signal "side" of the fuse

- back up sensors still work when shifted to reverse so the I assume the switch in the column is still working

I think there is a BCM (body control module?) that is somewhere in this circuit. Where is it and how can I check it? Maybe a relay somewhere that I can check? If so, where?

Any help I can get with this I really really really appreciate!

Thanks in advance!

Eric

08grey

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Check if there is signal at the trailer connection in the back. If there is take it from there for a simple fix.

OP
OP
emann_01

emann_01

Full Access Member
Reaction score
no signal at the trailer hookup. apparently the trailer signals piggy back off the vehicles signals?

Also, just found out that the trailer brake controller wires are not working (I did find the wires under in the engine back and bolted them down on the post) and now the rear licesnse plate lights are not working??

any help...anyone please???

08grey

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Pins get corroded and break in the plug. Remove the plugs from the rear junction box and inspect.

felixgun

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had this issue with my avalanche but it was bc of an HID kit I put in. The control module was burnt out due to a fault of my own by splicing in a 35W ballast for an HID kit into my reverse lights. According to the shop it was at, the original incandescent bulb draws 7-8 amps whereas my HID kit was drawing ~40 amps. The setup worked great and I saw no issues from when I installed it in mid-2011 to mid-2014... until it burnt out. This is all what the body shop said. I had 7k worth of repairs on the vehicle from hitting a deer (or actually the deer hitting me) coincidentally around the same time and had other issues with the vehicle which made me just get rid of the vehicle all together. The body shop said I could've replaced the control module and all the wiring leading up to the reverse lights to fix the issue, but it was all speculation as it was never done.

joshcarl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here's the schematic for the backup lamps circuit for a 2007 Yukon (you didn't specify the Y/M/M). i hope this helps!

Backuplight_zps96bbef96.jpg

OP
OP
emann_01

emann_01

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had this issue with my avalanche but it was bc of an HID kit I put in. The control module was burnt out due to a fault of my own by splicing in a 35W ballast for an HID kit into my reverse lights. According to the shop it was at, the original incandescent bulb draws 7-8 amps whereas my HID kit was drawing ~40 amps. The setup worked great and I saw no issues from when I installed it in mid-2011 to mid-2014... until it burnt out. This is all what the body shop said. I had 7k worth of repairs on the vehicle from hitting a deer (or actually the deer hitting me) coincidentally around the same time and had other issues with the vehicle which made me just get rid of the vehicle all together. The body shop said I could've replaced the control module and all the wiring leading up to the reverse lights to fix the issue, but it was all speculation as it was never done.

Any idea where this control module is located?

felixgun

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Any idea where this control module is located?

I'm referring to the BCM. They recommended I get a new BCM and get it re-flashed at the dealer and all new wiring. Which is quite expensive after parts/labor. I didn't want to do all that and STILL have the issue, and since I had other electrical issues aside from the reverse lights, I said **** it and got a new vehicle instead.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dzg9