At what mileage do Tahoes start to see serious problems?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ccapehartusarmyINF.(ret)

Full Access Member
Reaction score
mines an 2000 thru 2006 model ls and it started nickel and diming me to death at 120 k
shocks,water pump, fuel pump, window regulators and motors all 4 drivers mirror, evap system, rear main seal, valve cover seals oil pan gasket

oldchev

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've had my 04 Yukon Denali for over 4 years and picked it up at 112K miles. Now has 187K. I have replaced 3 forward a/c temp actuators (1 easy,2 inside dash), 1 rear actuator, steering column intermediate shaft (clunk when turning), wiper control relay, water pump at 157K, rear air shocks, radiator just recently (small leak), alternator this year, and of course belts, hoses thermostat, brakes, etc. and oh yeah, some radio lights and steering wheel control lights also. Now looks like the fuel pump is wavering. It just left me cold today.
If you can do some or most of the work yourself they are awesome vehicles. If not, the repair bills will throttle you.

rockola1971

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Typically all C/K chassis 4L60E trannys meet their demise around 125K. This number usually goes down when the vehicle is used for towing. This is just a general guide on the mileage for the tranny, some last longer, some die way lower (I suspect thats the driver driving it like a racecar). The Fuel pump meets its demise typically around 115-125k. There have been many that made it well over 125k and some that died well under 100K. My best advice is do NOT get in the habit of running the tank to fumes often. The fuel pump module is located in the tank in a trapped sump area meant to keep the fuel pump continuously covered in fuel. The pump is cooled by the fuel absorbing heat from it. Heat speeds the demise of anything electrical. If at all possible strive to keep tank atleast roughly 1/4 full at all times. This is just a general guideline, of course you would probably be alright at 1/8 tank...but why chance it if you dont have to.

Searay45db

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok, I have read all of the above. Rockola gives a little bit better empirical data, but let me give you a little bit more data to put it into perspective, because as everyone said, if the person beats the crap out of the vehicle, your gonna break stuff.

These vehicles are pickup trucks with a different body on it. My friends who are contracts run fleets of these. They beat the crap out of them, run them to 350k, see how much is left on the tranny, 99% run till 450 before they dump them Look e-bay, you will see these with 500k. The transmission is the weak link. The 4l60E is for all purposes not repairable. Every single part has been upgraded significantly. My tranny guy see's these usually around 115k, mine went on my 2000 5.3 at 180, my 2004 Subby is at 210 on the original. No explanation. Built on Wednesday. Obviously don't go to AAMCO for tranny work, shop it. I had a walk out of the door price for $1900 for total rebuild, 3 year 50k warranty. I upgraded it the 4L65E, which the Denali's have, just use's Planetary gear which is heavier. When my tranny was taken apart on the 5.3, I tow a lot. There was zero wear because of towing, tranny guy said towing doesn't make a difference. Tranny's are made to tow 100% of the time. It's luck of the draw. I flushed my tranny at 30k, asked him if it made a differnce, he said it's a 4L60E, who knows.

The 5.3 has been around for a long time, and its pretty bullet proof. One thing about this truck is it is was to work on yourself. There is a Youtube for everything. If you take care of the truck, it will take care of you. Too many people unload these at 125k because it nickel and dimes them. Then they go and buy a new one for lot more and it costs them more. Then people like me buy them cheap, $750 and I am good for another 200k, as I use upgraded parts.

If you are in the north, these are notorious for cancer in the front of the rear wheel well. Fix it early. Don't bondo it. They make the replacement panel.

Like many, I am a fan of the 200-2006 vintage. Best years they made these, plus they have steel bumpers so you don't scratch your bumper when you run over a prius.

Hope that helps..

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
montanaboy65