Are shock extenders or aftermarket shocks needed W/ leveling kit?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

187Import

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I was just wondering if shock extenders or aftermarket shocks, i.e. Bilstein 5100's are needed or recommended with the use of the CCM 2.5" leveling kit? I enjoy the excellent ride quality that the Yukon's, Tahoe's, and Escalades have from GM and I'd like to maintain that with the leveling kit. I just wanted to get your thoughts & opinions, thanks for your time.

01Konvict

Boats n Hoes
Reaction score
No you do not need shock extenders for the front 2.5" level kit. The spacer goes on top or bottom of stock strut assembly. I prefer 5100s over the stock shocks though

OP
OP
187Import

187Import

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Thanks for your input, I appreciate it. I'm sure that the Bilsteins improve the ride quality just a hair :gr_grin:

UAV2007

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
New to the forum and had a quick question regarding the CCM 2.5" Level. I have everything installed but after I pulled the strut out and mounted the spacer bracket, I noticed I had reinstall the strut 180 degrees from the way I pulled it out due to the new bolt "pattern" that is on the CCM spacer. Is the stock strut assembly designed to install in only one direction? Should I have swapped the passenger side strut with the driver side strut?

01Konvict

Boats n Hoes
Reaction score
Don't know that kit off the top of my head but check both parts to see if there side specific. I doubt they are so just need to rotate the shock. It doesn't hurt the strut if you rotate it or not. Just line it all up and enjoy.

UAV2007

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Thanks Konvict for the information. I assumed the strut could be rotated but just wanted confirmation.

Zed 71

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was just wondering if shock extenders or aftermarket shocks, i.e. Bilstein 5100's are needed or recommended with the use of the CCM 2.5" leveling kit? I enjoy the excellent ride quality that the Yukon's, Tahoe's, and Escalades have from GM and I'd like to maintain that with the leveling kit. I just wanted to get your thoughts & opinions, thanks for your time.

No need for the front struts since that is what the spacer is essentially doing. However if you want to maximize the flex in the rear a longer shock is optimal like the 5100s.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jethro779