Anybody else had to deal with significant rust on their frame?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ex Euro Driver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Picked up my 2013 Tahoe LT about 6 months ago. While going over things after purchase, I noticed a large amount of rust all over the place. Some of it was progressing to the point where I researched it and found out that its a known problem with a TSB out to the dealers. Not sure I'm comfortable with a "fix" on this issue. The rust is everywhere. Has anybody been successful with a buy back?

08grey

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No. Gm dosent use any protectant on the frame. They are all rusty. If you take it to the dealer I would be surprised if they don't laugh at you. If they do decide to work on it I bet all they will do is spray undercoat over it. It's a project we all end up dealing with in the salty states.

fiatdale

Houstons Best
Reaction score
They wont buy it back. Its common on any vehicle from up north. Like Joe said, all they will do is spray some rubberized undercoating on it and send it on its way. Its really nothing to worry about, especially on a 13. My 07 is completely disgusting, but with it lowered, the only time I see the frame is when I'm working under it, so I don't worry about it.

Just grab a can or two from an auto parts store and spray it.

08grey

Full Access Member
Reaction score
^ hey man waiting for that pic.

Don't just spray rubberized under coat it won't hold up. If you really want to do it right get a wire brush or wire brush attachment for your drill. Remove loose rust then wash let dry throughly Very important. Then paint with a good quality paint. You can then undercoat.

If that is just too much work for you Eastwood sells a undercoat with rust conveyer built in. It will do the job but not as good as other method. You will need to redo any parts that secured to loose rust in a year or so. As they will bubble up and peal.

---------- Post added at 10:27 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:18 AM ----------

http://youtu.be/ALpAnx-t1so

OP
OP
Ex Euro Driver

Ex Euro Driver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
2013 Tahoe Frame Rust Issue

Truck has 30K miles on it and the rust on the frame is unbelievable. It's absolutely everywhere. It appears the undercoating is peeling off and exposing raw metal. Anybody else having this happen? Took it to the dealer for inspection and they said "they'll get back to me". Doesn't sound promising.

HD4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My 07, 08, and 2010 frames looked really bad, but my 2013 with 32,000 miles on it now looks great so far

GM Customer Service

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I understand that you have brought this rust issue to your local dealership's attention, Ex Euro Driver. Have you heard back from them regarding this issue? I would be happy to discuss this further with you. Please contact me via private message if I can be of any assistance.

Jennifer T.
GM Customer Care

OP
OP
Ex Euro Driver

Ex Euro Driver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Update - Dealer just called and told me they have a GM rep coming on the 17th to look at the truck. We'll see what she says. Fingers crossed

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrSpork