Any interest in bolt on front hitch receivers?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Alex_M

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey all! Built a front hitch receiver for my Tahoe a couple days ago, and I was thinking it wouldn't be too difficult to modify the design to be bolt on. I wanted to put a feeler out and see if there were any interest in a product like this?

The one I built has bottom hanging recovery points since my bumper is trimmed, but could easily be made with front hanging recovery points that would come out where the factory tow hooks are located to minimize trimming.

Could also have either bottom mounted or top mounted receiver depending on if you'd prefer it to be higher or lower in the bumper.

If there's any interest, let me know. I believe I could sell them for roughly $300-325 plus shipping.

If there is enough interest, I may build one as a prototype for pictures. If someone wants to jump in and pay for the prototype, and take pictures of the install process, I'd give a $100 discount on the first.

20230715_165219.jpg

Attachments

• 20230715_165502.jpg
    20230715_165502.jpg
    583.4 KB · Views: 12

drakon543

Full Access Member
Reaction score
curt already makes a front receiver for these trucks thats bolt in for about 240. not trying to be a dick just hoping you didn't spend too much in materials and time.

OP
OP
Alex_M

Alex_M

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I didn't take it as such. Personally I'm not much a fan of Curt's design and selling these wasn't my primary intent. Actually didn't even consider it until I made this post.

Thanks!

drakon543

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I didn't take it as such. Personally I'm not much a fan of Curt's design and selling these wasn't my primary intent. Actually didn't even consider it until I made this post.

Thanks!
k mainly was hoping you didn't spend alot of time and money because you couldn't find it. snag some better pictures of your setup tho. some people may like your design better.

B-train

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I like what you did there. I want something similar for my 08 Denali, but the front end is quite different than the previous generation.

Looks like you'll be able to handle most trails! Good luck on your endeavor

OP
OP
Alex_M

Alex_M

Full Access Member
Reaction score
k mainly was hoping you didn't spend alot of time and money because you couldn't find it. snag some better pictures of your setup tho. some people may like your design better.
The "production" model would be a bit different - mine is welded in vs bolt in, so pictures of this one wouldn't help a whole lot.

It would essentially bolt in where the factory tow points bolt, however a bit higher and more robust than the Curt design.

OP
OP
Alex_M

Alex_M

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I like what you did there. I want something similar for my 08 Denali, but the front end is quite different than the previous generation.

Looks like you'll be able to handle most trails! Good luck on your endeavor
Thanks! If I still had my '07 I'd be able to build one for that platform as well, but unfortunately I let it go a couple months ago.

BlaineBug

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey all! Built a front hitch receiver for my Tahoe a couple days ago, and I was thinking it wouldn't be too difficult to modify the design to be bolt on. I wanted to put a feeler out and see if there were any interest in a product like this?

The one I built has bottom hanging recovery points since my bumper is trimmed, but could easily be made with front hanging recovery points that would come out where the factory tow hooks are located to minimize trimming.

Could also have either bottom mounted or top mounted receiver depending on if you'd prefer it to be higher or lower in the bumper.

If there's any interest, let me know. I believe I could sell them for roughly $300-325 plus shipping.

If there is enough interest, I may build one as a prototype for pictures. If someone wants to jump in and pay for the prototype, and take pictures of the install process, I'd give a $100 discount on the first.

View attachment 404158
Correct me if I am wrong, however the way you have those D-ring brackets welded on to the bottom of that bar versus the front, I believe that puts an incorrect "shear load" on the brackets and welds.

OP
OP
Alex_M

Alex_M

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It all depends on designing with intended work loads in mind. I can tell you from experience using many many of these weld on d-rings that this configuration is plenty strong. Far more strong than the factory recovery hooks. The weld on rings are rated at 5000#, but I can tell you that I have had far more load than that on them with no sign of failure or even deformation. I put them on nearly every bumper I build, and they get used in a similar "load orientation" as to what you see here on my trailers on a very regular basis. Thanks for the input!

BlaineBug

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It all depends on designing with intended work loads in mind. I can tell you from experience using many many of these weld on d-rings that this configuration is plenty strong. Far more strong than the factory recovery hooks. The weld on rings are rated at 5000#, but I can tell you that I have had far more load than that on them with no sign of failure or even deformation. I put them on nearly every bumper I build, and they get used in a similar "load orientation" as to what you see here on my trailers on a very regular basis. Thanks for the input!
I understand - on a trailer you are using them to ratchet strap or chain bind a load, correct? When used in a recovery scenario you are shock loading them, such as when using an elastic recovery rope.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ihaveatahoetoo