anti-seize on plugs

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

992dr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm replacing my plugs and I have been reading NOT to put anti seize on plugs. = Reasons being it won't give you accurate tension when tightening and has a chance to back out and will also break down and over time and the same thing can happen. I'm sure there are other reasons but these two popped up.

I had put it on in the past but wanted to get everyone's opinion on this before I wrap things up. I'm on #8

Anti-Seize on plugs Yes or No?

Thanks

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
I personally use anti-seize on plugs. Some people get ridiculous with it and is likely why it is not recommended. I personally have never had a problem with it, personally or in any shops I was in. I use a very small dab of it at the bottom thread area and let it spread as the plug is threaded in.

OP
OP
992dr

992dr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Looks like I'll be removing them and putting anti seize on them.

What's stupid is, I typically do when I change plugs, but I had to Google it, and this is what happens.
Why do I listen to a damn device?

Now the question is. Will I regret it if I put it off until this weekend?

Thanks guys should've stuck with my instinct.

Off but on topic. What are some secrets to removing #8? Tips tricks, it's been a while since doing this and I can't seem to get gorilla mits in there to remove the damn wire never mind the plug.

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
@Rocket Man's solution worked for me:

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
The anti-seize, IMO, is especially important with aluminum heads but make sure you don't gob it on the threads. Again, IMO, just a dab just up from the bottom of the threads will allow it to spread as threaded in to the hole. Also, I you have a deep enough 1/4" drive socket, very hard to come by, and have a good quality 1/4" drive ratchet or breaker bar, that will save some space but the deep regular 5/8" 3/8" drive socket is also a great idea.

OP
OP
992dr

992dr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I agree 100 percent, I usually put anti seize exactly who you applied it but for some odd reason the computer got in my head and then I started thinking. Bad idea.

I think I have a gear wrench 1/4 in ratchet. I'll go search my box for some 1/4" sockets.

Thanks again, much appreciated

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Looks like I'll be removing them and putting anti seize on them.

What's stupid is, I typically do when I change plugs, but I had to Google it, and this is what happens.
Why do I listen to a damn device?

Now the question is. Will I regret it if I put it off until this weekend?

Thanks guys should've stuck with my instinct.

Off but on topic. What are some secrets to removing #8? Tips tricks, it's been a while since doing this and I can't seem to get gorilla mits in there to remove the damn wire never mind the plug.

I agree 100 percent, I usually put anti seize exactly who you applied it but for some odd reason the computer got in my head and then I started thinking. Bad idea.

I think I have a gear wrench 1/4 in ratchet. I'll go search my box for some 1/4" sockets.

Thanks again, much appreciated
While the regular deep 3/8" drive 5/8" socket is likely the way to go, the deep enough 1/4" drive socket, if you can find one, may give a little more room but be careful, That 1/4" drive can only take so much ooommmppphhh!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ihaveatahoetoo