anti-seize on plugs

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
+1 for anti-seize. I've always used copper. Squirt a little on the bottom end of the threads and spin the plug with my finger holding the blob to spread it and push it down into the threads. I've replaced hundreds of plugs and never a problem.

OP
OP
992dr

992dr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'll be going back and putting some anti-seize on them this coming weekend.

Thanks guys, Appreciate the help and info from everyone

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I agree 100 percent, I usually put anti seize exactly who you applied it but for some odd reason the computer got in my head and then I started thinking. Bad idea.

I think I have a gear wrench 1/4 in ratchet. I'll go search my box for some 1/4" sockets.

Thanks again, much appreciated
I use anti-seize. That’s not a 1/4” ratchet I used in that post, it’s a regular 3/8” one with a regular 5/8” socket on the end of a regular plug socket. I doubt a 1/4” drive ratchet will give you enough leverage.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm replacing my plugs and I have been reading NOT to put anti seize on plugs. = Reasons being it won't give you accurate tension when tightening and has a chance to back out and will also break down and over time and the same thing can happen. I'm sure there are other reasons but these two popped up.

I had put it on in the past but wanted to get everyone's opinion on this before I wrap things up. I'm on #8

Anti-Seize on plugs Yes or No?

Thanks
I have always done it as well. Then one day I read the shop manual and it said not to use anti-seize for two reasons. First, as you mentioned, the torque spec gets thrown off. But more importantly, the coating on the threads IS a form of anti-seize that prevents the plug from getting stuck in the aluminum heads.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
I have always done it as well. Then one day I read the shop manual and it said not to use anti-seize for two reasons. First, as you mentioned, the torque spec gets thrown off. But more importantly, the coating on the threads IS a form of anti-seize that prevents the plug from getting stuck in the aluminum heads.
Somebody supposedly built a better mouse trap? It has literally worked for me for 30+ years and am too old a dog to change now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yuhoe1988