Alignment on Lifted Truck

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Screwd up 6

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have recently installed 3" spindles and cranked my torsion bars about 1-2". I had an alignment done and got the spec sheets to reference. I noticed the truck was VERY responsive to the slightest movement in the steering wheel...actually too much. If I tried barely turned the wheel the truck would dart in that direction. I looked over the spec sheet and noticed the passenger toe was set to 0* and the drivers set to .14*. I have read online a lot about how toe in and out affects the driving/handling. Where I am confused is .14* should be about 1/32” of an inch. That little bit shouldn’t have such a drastic effect should it? When I had my jeep lifted the toe was set in 1/8” and it handled great.

Does anyone here have knowledge on alignment for lifted applications? I realize my spec are within factory but I know that the specs should be referenced differently on a lifted truck.

Any advice would greatly be appreciated.

NathanJax

Vacation Nathan
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
moved to the suspension section since the tech section is for "Here is where you will find technical write ups on installs and how to's."

Hopefully someone will chime in soon...

OP
OP
Screwd up 6

Screwd up 6

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks, I was going to put in the lifted section but thought the tech was where it would get moved if I did haha.

jdpber

GOLD MEMBER
Supporting Member
Reaction score
For starters cranking torsion 1-2" is pushing them and this changes the angle of the spindle. The alignment corrects this SOME but simply put the geometry if the upper A arm causes a greater angle of the wheel with travel. Now your jeep was a solid axel up front I am going to assume wrangler or Cherokee. So this is a horizontal it travels differently geometrically than a IFS (independent front suspension) Tahoe and 99% of the newer gm trucks. Now with this said to help your handling couple things. One you could have play in front suspension due to wear over time. What are your miles?

Does the truck feel like the wheels are hoping?
Does the front end walk back and forth?
Does it pull one direction?
Does it shake like a hookers butt
Does the entire truck vibrate.

Your statement of "handles bad" is not detailed enought for me. This could be as simple as a bad bushing or a ball joint. With more details ill help you figure it out.

Jeff d

Reaction score
It's likely because your caster is off (Too little). Think about a chopper (huge amounts of caster) vs a sportbike (minimal caster). Which one is more sensitive to small steering inputs?

Does your steering wheel return to neutral/straight if you come out of a curve and let go? Or does it want to continue turning or even dive into the turn?

Do the NBS trucks have knockouts that you have to remove to be able to adjust caster? Supposedly the OBS ones do but I have no experience with that.

OP
OP
Screwd up 6

Screwd up 6

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For starters cranking torsion 1-2" is pushing them and this changes the angle of the spindle. The alignment corrects this SOME but simply put the geometry if the upper A arm causes a greater angle of the wheel with travel. Now your jeep was a solid axel up front I am going to assume wrangler or Cherokee. So this is a horizontal it travels differently geometrically than a IFS (independent front suspension) Tahoe and 99% of the newer gm trucks. Now with this said to help your handling couple things. One you could have play in front suspension due to wear over time. What are your miles?

Does the truck feel like the wheels are hoping?
Does the front end walk back and forth?
Does it pull one direction?
Does it shake like a hookers butt
Does the entire truck vibrate.

Your statement of "handles bad" is not detailed enought for me. This could be as simple as a bad bushing or a ball joint. With more details ill help you figure it out.

Miles are about 125K but all the ball joints have good boots with no tears, always greased and no slack when given the grab and shake test with the truck in the air. This being said, I would say the truck has no signs of bad ball joints. The pitman arm and idler arm do have signs of wear, but VERY minimal. The play is not bad at all...id say on a scale of 1-10 its barely close to 1. When the truck is in the air and you turn the steering wheel, the wheels move right away. The slack is barely visible at all.

No "deathwobble" or shakiness at all. The truck does not pull hard to one side. If you let go of the wheel it will travel straight for the most part but might drift over 1' over the course of 5-10 seconds. No vibrations or anything out of the ordinary.

When I Say it handles poorly, I mean it is scary that when you barely turn the wheel a half an inch the truck darts that way very aggressively. It doesn't yank the wheel out of your hand, but it does not slowly move over. For example if I try to switch lanes at highway speeds, a very slow lane change, it will dart over. I have to have 2 hands on the wheel at all times because once it darts, you better be ready. Additionally, when it darts one way and you try to correct it, it darts the opposite direction just as fast.

Before the spindles with the keys slightly cranked the truck was straight as an arrow and had very sturdy and stable handling. Spindles and crank have only been done for about 3 weeks now.

It's likely because your caster is off (Too little). Think about a chopper (huge amounts of caster) vs a sportbike (minimal caster). Which one is more sensitive to small steering inputs?

Does your steering wheel return to neutral/straight if you come out of a curve and let go? Or does it want to continue turning or even dive into the turn?

Do the NBS trucks have knockouts that you have to remove to be able to adjust caster? Supposedly the OBS ones do but I have no experience with that.

Steering wheel does return to center when you let go but when you first initiate the turn, it definitely dives hard. Here is the spec sheet from the alignment shop.

LEFT

Actual Specified Range
0.1*________ -0.3* ________ 0.8*_______CAMBER
3.1*________ 2.9* ________4.9* _______CASTER
0.14*_______-0.05* ________0.15*_______TOE

RIGHT

Actual Specified Range
0.0*_________-0.3*_________0.8*_______CAMBER
4.2*__________3.7*_________5.7*_______CASTER
0.00*________-0.05*________0.15*______TOE

FRONT
Actual Specified Range
0.1*_________-0.5*_________0.5*_______CROSS CAMBER
-1.1*________-1.3*_________-0.3*______CROSS CASTER
0.14*________-0.10*________0.30*______TOTAL TOE

Last edited:

jdpber

GOLD MEMBER
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Boots can hide warn joints. And a small play that you can't feel can still have a vib and steer play FYI. As for the darting it is probably simply your not used to the steering ratio yet.

OP
OP
Screwd up 6

Screwd up 6

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I agree it might be that I'm not use to it. It just seems so unsafe like this. I guess I will just try to keep getting use to it.

Last edited:

jdpber

GOLD MEMBER
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Any cranked torsion is gonna ride funny that's the nature if the beast

OP
OP
Screwd up 6

Screwd up 6

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well I guess I should consider going back to stock and selling the lift parts because I don't want to jeopardize my safety to have a cool looking truck. IF it is in fact due to the stock keys being cranked just an inch, I cant imagine how everyone cranks 2-3" and doesn't complain about it. My gf drove the truck and pulled over and said she couldn't drive it because it was so scary.

I DO appreciate all of your input tho

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Denali21