Airbox top off with K&N Filter

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

blizz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
50k miles? I clean and recharge mine at least every time i change the oil, sometimes more depending on how dirty it is, infact i just recharged (clean and oil) today. the last time was about 2 months ago.

HotCarl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The instructions on mine say clean every 50,000 miles. Also, it says do not worry about dirt build up until then because the dirtier it gets the better it filters.

blizz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
hmm...interesting. i can't believe it would be ok to not clean it for....for some people....2 years or more. i slacked a little and hadn't cleaned mine in about 6 months, put on maybe 4k miles in that time and it was filthy. i cleaned it and noticed a HUGE difference. i hope there's nothing wrong with cleaning it regularly.

---------- Post added at 07:35 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:33 PM ----------

sure enough...........

"4. How often do I need to clean my K&N air filter?

If you have not experienced a decrease in mileage or engine performance, chances are your filter is fine and does not yet need cleaning. To be more specific, the filter does not require cleaning if you can still see the wire screen on the entire air filter regardless of how dirty it may appear. When the screen is no longer visible some place on the filter, it is time to clean it. When used in normal paved road, street or highway conditions, our replacement air filters that fit in the factory air box should require cleaning every 50,000 miles and our large conical filters on an intake system should require cleaning every 100,000 miles. When used in dusty or off-road environments, our filters will require cleaning more often. We recommend that you visually inspect your filter once every 25,000 miles to determine if the screen is still visible. "

so maybe doing it every oil change is overkill...but i don't know if i'll wait a year to clean it.

HotCarl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If anything, its probably not BAD for it to be cleaned it every oil change. Do you just oil it? I can't remember the correct way to clean it, I think maybe with compressed air, or do you just hose it off and let it dry?

blizz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i use the detergent that comes with it.....soak it in...rinse it out and re-oil. i think i'll just blow it out with my compressor next time. i hope re-oiling it as often as i have hasn't ruined it's ability to let air flow.

TheBeast99

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When I put the filter in I noticed better MPG's but no real performance gains.
i can't remember if i got better MPG's when i used one in my old I4 car, and upon reflecting i think that slight performance gain might've been all in my head LOL.
though i will stick with the stock air intake setup - it seems like it'd be harder to accidentally swallow water if i went through a big puddle, than vs an aftermarket one.

blizz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yeah if you cap off the silencer opening the stock intake then turns into more of an after market one especially if you use a high flow filter.

woodman300

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
if you read the instructions for the cleaning kit, it says to spray the cleaner on outer surface of the filter, let it stand for a while, and rinse it with water. you may need to repeat if it is really dirty. it then clearly says to let the filter air dry before putting the oil on. it must be dry before you do this and it specifically says not to use compressed air to help it dry. it will damage the fibers and it may not filter properly. once dry, take the oil can and pray it on till the whole filter has the red color. that is how you know there is enough oil on the entire surface. then reinstall. i have a 96 tahoe that i take offroad occasionally, maybe 3 times a year and i have only cleaned the filter twice in about 70k. it wasn't even that dirty when i did it. i have the big air box just like the guy who cut the top of his.

DBLTAP

Reaction score
DO NOT run it without the top of the box! I ran my truck for over a year without a problem...until last weekend. when i first installed the K&N and removed the top of the box i just figured in a hard rain or wheeling in mud and water I'd just throw the top of the box on right? I wont bore you with details but one thing led to another and yes there was a few cold ones involved and before i knew it a couple of us were playing in a little mud. And then a little deeper into the hole i went. As soon a the check engine light came on and the truck sputtered it hit me about the box. TOO FREAKING LATE! Spent most of this week looking and pricing motor options. I might add that the bottom of that damn box makes a perfect pool...:Plugged:

woodman300

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
this brings back memories. i was in the desert and it had rained heavy. we were on a 2 lane road and crossed a couple of streams about 20-30 feet wide going across the road. then we came upon a huge section of water and there were several cars parked and waiting. i saw 2 big rigs go right on through and a 3rd one came up and the guy says just follow close behind me and you'll be fine. well like an idiot i followed. this lake was only about 2-3 feet deep and following in his wake it was no problem at first. then it got deeper. the road curved a little and then we saw a minivan floating, passed right by it. at this point i am praying. please god, please god, this lasted for what must have been at least a minute long going about 10-15 miles an hour. as we approached the end of the water it started to come in the door seals and it even came over the top of the hood. my 1996 tahoe stands a little higher than stock due to my 285s. i made it across, parked the car, did not turn off theengine but i popped the hood. the inside was all wet but was still running. i checked the air cleaner and it was half full of water. i was so lucky it did not stall out. i dumped out the water, looked over things and left. no major damage thank god, just some dirt and water in the tranny and gears. servicing took care of it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SDHanz

Latest posts